It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Am I correct in assuming that when installing a new MB, I need to reformat the hard drive?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 pm 

If not, that's great, but I have a feeling that I'll need to format. If I do need to format, I can temporarily move the HD to my kids computer to pull off as many of the files as I need to, but I'd rather not have to do that. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:19 pm 

I would simply because you have drivers and system specific stuff inside of the Windows operating system that may not be configured properly if you just plop the same install into a new hardware system.

So the answer is yes for best performance.

But you could limp along with letting it plug and play the new hardware until you get the data you need backed up.

keep in mind if it is Windows XP and it sees more than x # of hardware changes it may see that as suspicious and try to lock you down. Supposedly that's how it was built, but I don't know cause I always load fresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:25 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pretty much as keen said - you can get away with just pushing the new hardware in and letting plug and play do its thing - but theres a moderate chance of conflicts down the road, or just random errors that you can't pin down.

As far as XP goes if you have a full retail copy then changing the motherboard could well trigger a re-activation requirement but it should happen without a hitch, if you have an OEM version of XP tho it will lockdown and you will need to buy a new copy (or get lucky with MS support).

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:52 pm 

You could buy a new drive and install a fresh copy of windows on it, and use the present drive as a secondary data only drive.
There is a great little shareware program called Application Mover that I use, that can be found at http://www.funduc.com.
Both of my pc's have two drives in them, and I have moved many applications (including games), from one hard drive to another, with absolutely no problems.
If you do a google search on the subject of hardware changes under windows xp, you will find some solutions there, but none of them are easy.
It probably would be easier to just format your present drive and start over if you do not want to spend the money for a second drive.
Good Luck

!toofio

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Are you just replacing the motherboard? If so...can you replace it with the exact same model? If so, you shouldnt have to format. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:37 pm 

Different model of motherboard. I took the HD out, hooked it up to my kids computer and saved off what I wanted. Put it back in my PC along with the new MB, formatted, and all's well. Thanks for the replies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:44 pm 

When my MB fried.. I bought an brand new different model and brand MOBO (but used the same CPU)... I just let P&P do its thing.. installed the new MB drivers etc... a month ago...

NO ISSUES! Perfect! (knock on silicon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 am 

I went from a 680i board to a P965 board and didn't have to reformat/reinstall. I would try first without reformatting - what's the worst that could happen, you have to reformat? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:20 am 

TRUE! If you don't reformat.. what is the worst that can happen? A reformat!!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:52 pm 

Well, I did the reformat thing, and all's well so far...

Except...

Now, it won't shut down. When I attempt to shut down using the standard XP shut-down, it goes through the shut down process, and just when you think the power will actually go off, voila, on it goes again, reboots. It didn't do that until last night. Any ideas on what that could be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:53 pm 

Now that I think about it, I did hook up my external USB zip drive last night (just plugged it in), and that worked fine. I also plugged in a generic USB hub. It was after those to 'new things' that the no-shut-down issue started occuring.

Hmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:13 pm 

Make sure you update the motherboard drivers, the CD-ROM that comes with mobo's is usually out of date.

Go to the manufactures web site and see if you can get more current stuff. Also see if you can find drivers for the ZIP drive that are newer and get all the Windows updates.

Sounds like the removable "zip" drive may be a problem. if you don't use it for every session consider only plugging it in when you really need it and remove it before shutting down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:53 pm 

I removed the zip drive and the usb hub, and still have the problem. All 'windows updates' are current also. I'm wondering if I have a memory problem, though. No, not me (although my wife might argue that point), my computer. I've got two stick of PC2100 in it, a 256 meg board, and a 512 board. Total of 768. When I look at the properties of 'My Computer', it reports 704 meg, 64 less than the physical total. Is that supposed to do that? I took out the 512, and with 256 actual, it reported 192, again 64 less. I pulled out the 256 and put in the 512, it reported 448, again 64 less than physical memory.

I'm thinking that's normal, but figured I'd ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:02 pm 

It's not supposed to do that, it might be that your mother board requires you to add memory in matched pairs.

How many slots are there? If you can separate them and leave an empty slot in between, see if that changes anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 pm 

It doesn't say anything about needing matched pairs, and I have it installed in the manner they describe. It's Crucial memory, and not on their list of supported memory, could that be the problem? It's the correct 'type', but not on their list.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next