It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Awful Download Speeds with Verizon DSL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:22 am 

This is probably Verizon's issue, but I figured I'd ask here as well. The last few days my internet connection has been pure garbage. 10k/sec download speeds is bout average now. My connection to Warcraft servers are anywhere from 400 - 3000ms latency. It seems to come and go. But mostly, it's just bad. This is the strange part. My upload speed doesn't seem to be affected at all. Speedtest after speedtest indicates that my upload speed is right on target, to multiple servers. I have the same issue on my laptop and desktop computers.

I've done a virus scan with AVG.
I've done spyware sweeps with Adaware.
I've checked my router/dsl modem and no one else is connected. I have wireless security enabled as well.

It's like something is choking the life out of my download speeds all of the sudden. The only change I can think of in the last few days, is that I installed Logitech webcam. I've since uninstalled it (drivers and all), but still no changes. I have an 860/130 plan with Verizon. Or something close to those numbers, lol. I want to scream at Verizon, but with the upload speeds being perfect, I'm not 100% sure it's their problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:26 am 

And for what it's worth, I did power cycle the modem. Uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter. Released and renewed the adapter as well :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:48 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Can you get connection stats for your modem? being DSL it will sync with the hardware at the other end of the line, depending on distance, noise on the line, etc. this sync speed can be affected bringing down the total speed you can negotiate a connection at... upload is less sensitive to noise and so is less likely to be affected...

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:47 pm 

Well, these results don't bode well:
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2156455

I'm somewhat convinced its not my setup. I can play on one WoW server with pings 31-160 (EST time zone on this server). On a different WoW server (PST Timezoned), it's 2000+. I have to think it's something in between the telco and whatever website/game server I'm trying to connect to. However, it seems to be wide spread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:30 pm 

For whatever it's worth Finko, I've had similar issues in the past with Adelphia, soon to be TimeWarner here. In some cases it was within the local area, with Adelphia's hardware, and would be fixed and "back to normal" in a couple of days. Other times it would be outside of the Adelphia network, on one of the nodes belonging to one of the backbone providers. A coupe of years ago I was getting a routing from Buffalo to Dallas to Chicago to New York !ill Eventually it got sorted out. I'd run tracert's and submit them to Verizon's tech support, to show them where the lousy hops are along the way. Keep track of the bad periods, and request a refund for when it's down. You could also threaten to drop the service for something else. Most telico's will go to great lengths to keep existing customers, and it's worth trying to negotiate.

Good luck... I've been there and it stinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:29 pm 

Roff, I'm not sure if this is what you meant by modem stats or not:
http://www.digital-disposition.com/dsl_status.jpg

There is some 'OAM Test Ping' screen as well, that lets me run 4 different kinds of tests. Something to do with the Gateway connecting to the DSL network. The 'F4 End' test fails. So, not sure what that means.
http://www.digital-disposition.com/modem_test.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:33 pm 

After looking at modem stats, line quality readings and speed tests, one of the moderators at DSLreports.com feels its the CO that is screwed up. They have a Direct Support forum for Verizon there. So, I've posted my issue there. Holiday weekend though. So, I'm expecting no mircales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:58 pm 

plug directly into the modem to bypass the wireless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:21 pm 

Hey Finko:

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Verizon. I worked for them from 1970 to 2002, and my entire career had to do with installing and maintaining data transmission equpment for customers in Washington D.C., also including internal work I did for the company installing and repairing everything from regular telephones, to ISDN phone systems, 45mbps modems, routers, concentrators, mainframe front ends, pc's, workstations, laser printers,etc.
Since I retired from them, things have gone seriously downhill (probably because I left - LOL).
Your problem might be a messed up routing table in the central office router, or some other problem in the C.O. equipment.

!sad
I would call them and report a trouble as soon as possible, and keep calling until they find someone knowlegable enough to fix it.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:46 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well according to your stats its not a line issue at any rate - SNR and attenuation are fine and theres none to very low levels of CRC errors...

maybe they have a saturated link somewhere...

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:18 am 

Nice site....thanks for the hook up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:45 am 

[blockquote]plug directly into the modem to bypass the wireless?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/blockquote]

as long as you are plugging in, might as well go with cable.
I heartz cable internet compared to DSL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:35 pm 

It is plugged into the modem. The wireless ability is there for the occasional laptop use.

I live in a technological deadzone :( Aside from 1 way cable, DSL is my only option. I can't even get HD TV service here. Satellite isn't doable either. I have no real good line of site from my apartment and they won't let me put a dish on the roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:56 pm 

any idea why i cant get my results to post up on here? just curious :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next