It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: AMD cpu question / system lock-up during games
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:07 pm 

O.K., this might sound like a dumb question, but when I recently had to reinstall WinXP due to a file system crash a few weeks back should I have downloaded the latest driver form my AMD64 4000 cpu? I see a processor driver at [link=hyperlink url]http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html[/link] but it looks like it will also install the cool 'n quiet features, which I've read can cause problems in gaming.

I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with my computer locking up about 15 to 20 minutes into a game, be it HL2 or CoD2. I've run memtest without any errors, grabbed the latest drivers for my BFG 6800GT OC, ran 3Dmark without a hitch, run HL2 Episode 1 with the -nosound function, etc, all to no avail. My temp's are always in line, and my Eermax 600W power supply should have more than enough juice. It's really frustrating that I don't get anything showing up in the event logs or the drwtsn32 logs. No viruses or spyware here either. My Creative SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum also has the latest drivers.

It's driving me nuts !red

Any useful suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:58 pm 

no useful suggestions. maybe try the driver then disable cool n quiet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

which version of xp? all updated from the windows update site?

I had a similar problem when I installed XP Professional. I couldnt figure it out, so I just went back to my trusy 2k install. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:42 am 

[quote1154223705=dmschaos]
which version of xp? all updated from the windows update site?

I had a similar problem when I installed XP Professional. I couldnt figure it out, so I just went back to my trusy 2k install. ;)
[/quote1154223705]
XP SP2

and yes, it's all up to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:06 am 

Blow the dust off your videocard and it will run just fine.
You might just as well clean the rest of pc while you're at it.
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:19 pm 

In my case everyone said it was the power supply. I have a 450W PSU now and the problem is not gone but it does take longer to lock up in DOOM3 HL2 and Far Cry.

Personally I was never satisfied that it was the PSU. I think the video card or processor sucks excessive power during a specific operation. Something in a pipeline and command only those games use and DirectX games do not.

It's an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 512K 90nm (939 socket) and a BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/DVI on an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI.

A combination which I'll never buy again.

What do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:24 pm 

Keen, I have exactly the same thing, except I have the AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:42 pm 

!omfg You have an MSI socket 939 with a BFG video card? Or what do you mean exact same thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:12 pm 

[quote1154286074=Commander Keen]
!omfg You have an MSI socket 939 with a BFG video card? Or what do you mean exact same thing?
[/quote1154286074]
Yup, I have an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI (which is socket 939), with a single BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E DVI-I, VGA, S-Video, a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum, an AMD Athlon 64 4000+, CORSAIR 1GB (2x512) TWINX1024-3200XLPT 1024MB XMS3200 (400MHZ) (2) MATCHED XL W/HEAT SPREADER 2-2-2-5, Enermax 600W ATX EG701AX-VE-SFMA Rev2.0 Noisetaker Power Supply Support SLI technology, a pair of WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor in RAID 0 SETUP for my Win XP SP2 OS, and a Maxtor 6B250S0 DiamondMax Plus10 250GB Hard Drive Serial ATA-150, 7,200 RPM, 16MB drive for storage, plus a couple of optical drives and a floppy/card reader, all sitting inside of my Thermaltake VA8000BWS Armor Black ATX Full Tower Case.

With the side windows I'd see any dust bunnies, and when I have the case open I don't see any. I am going to pull the graphics and sound cards and clean any surface dust off, then reseat them. My sound card is in the top slot, and I'm thinking about dropping it down one to see if that has any impact.

Any way, Keen, you and I have almost the exact same rig's, and it sounds like similar problems. The question is, it the graphics card, the MSI motherboard, or something else? !spy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:19 am 

Keen, which PCI slot do you have your sound card in?

Mine was in the top slot (slot 1), closest to the cpu, and my "Creative Modem Blaster" was in the 2nd PCI slot. I dropped the modem down to the orange 3rd slot, which the MSI manual for the mobo refers to as the "communication" slot. I then moved my sound card to PCI slot 2. I also vacuumed what little duct made it through the case duct filters, per Qsiris's suggestion.

Of course I broke the first rule of de-bugging by trying more than one solution at at time 8) , so I don't know if it was the card swapping or the ducting that did it, but I just finished HL2 E1 with out a hitch, and with all the eye and ear candy maxed !amazed

We'll see if CoD2 MP does as well.

Thanks for the input guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:41 am 

Keen, blow videocard heatsink ridges with compressed air, clean the rest of pc.
Remount CPU heatsink,(add grease perhaps) . Remount chipset heatsink,( add grease.)
Raise CPU, memory and chipset voltages one notch. And in the end give pc a good
workout with case OPEN.

If all fails, get high quality 500w PSU. (I have 580w Hiper Type R).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:04 am 

Before I retired, I was a laser printer and pc repair tech for 5 years in a shop that only supported equipment for Verizon internal communications. I fixed many intermittent problems with lockups by cleaning the connectors on all types of circuit cards by using a #2 pencil erasor to erase dirt buildup on the lands (meaning the little gold plated connections on the sides of the board where it plugged into the main board) This trick will work on memory also. It may sound very low tech, but it worked many times for me. Just remember to remove any rubber residue with a clean cloth before you re install the board. Some times, just removing the board and reseating it was enough to clean the contacts, which you did, in essence by moving your boards around, Vos.

BTW, I also have an MSI board, with two 512 meg sticks of pc3200 dual channel memory, and an Athlon 64 3500+ processor, and I have found it to be very reliable. So reliable, in fact, that I have had no - repeat NO hardware problems with it yet. And it has been in use for a long time now.

In fact, it has been the most reliable macine I have built so far, out of about 15 or 16 I have assembled over the years, both for myself and for family members and friends.

!spy

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:23 pm 

Well, even Painkiller is running rock steady again, except for the annoying disc copy protection method they use that wants to stay in an eternal spin cycle until you eject and reload the disk !red

Other than that, it's running great. I do think the thin film of dust was adding to the heat build-up, moving my fax/modem card down to the "communications" PCI slot, and dropping my sound card down one slot helped. Also, I think the slot-swapping provided more open air space around both the sound and graphics cards. And, as SPYDER mentioned pointed out:
[blockquote]just removing the board and reseating it was enough to clean the contacts[/blockquote]

Keen, I'm still curious about which PCI slot your sound card is in, as a sanity check.

Now I just need to find time to use the darn thing for something other than mail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:09 pm 

[quote1154524111=Rare Vos]
Keen, which PCI slot do you have your sound card in?
[/quote1154524111]

I have the exact same system as you except my MSI is the one with the built in Sound Blaster 24, so it's not technically in a PCI slot. but is on the bus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:40 pm 

Now that you mention it I've had a bad history with Sound Blaster Cards. I read good reviews about this board so I went ahead and bought it, whereas the other choice I had was an ASUS with AC97 sound I should have bought it, I've never had problems with ASUS but had always heard MSI's were so stable.

2 or 3 systems ago I had a Sounblaster Live! PCI card that would always get extremely HOT.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next