It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: PC on a powerstrip question.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:40 am 

I now have my computer set to "reboot from power failure" in the BIOS... so after I shut my PC off.. I just push the power strip to shut down ALL power to printer, monitor, amp, computer cord etc...

SO... one touch and it all starts up. This means the PC is unpowered until I hit the powerstrip and then the computer boots up on it's own.

Any problems with this? Can this cause some sort of surge to the power supply and mainboard? Any grounding issues? Or would this be ok.

(I got sick of my joystick and mouse LED's being on 24/7 and having to reach down into a cabinet to hit the powerswitch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:35 am 

i have no answer for you but a question from yours.

i leave my pc on 24/7, and i always thought this was best.

am i wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:20 pm 

I wouldn't use that method myself, sounds like you're asking for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:d6ec950daf]I've always left my computers on 24/7 n3wD. I use mine so much that the wear and tear of turning on and off all the time would be more detrimental then the constant running. Now, I've lost a couple of hdd's over the years...but, none more then normal and I usually have a back up. That's about the only draw back I've seen in about 10+ years of leaving them running all the time. I'm sure the disks would like to spin down and take a break from time to time...but, oh well.[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:8cdc162229]oh, and slyster...not sure if I would use that method, but I honestly dont see anything wrong with it. As long as you have a good power supply, power strip and a grounded outlet...you should be ok. I guess it just depends on how much you use the switch. Once a day? Then that's ok...multiple times...I'd just leave it on :)[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:06 am 

Echoing the comments of some others, I prefer to leave it on. Every time you turnoff/turnon the system it goes through a thermal transition that causes expansion and contraction that is sure to eventually cause some sort of problems.

I think its better for machines to just stay on. But what do I know, I run machines for a living that never shut down. :)

All that being said, hitting the power all in one power strip's switch isn't going to be any more damaging that using the power button on the case, so you're fine. The end result for the PCs internal components is still filtered/regulated by the power supply, so no difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:33 am 

Leaving the pc on all of the time is probably best, if you live in an area where the power is stable and you get very few hits, surges and brownouts. I happen to live in Florida - the lightning capitol of the world. The power hits got so bad that I went to best buy and got an inexpensive uninterruptable power supply to protect my two machines. It does a very good job of isolating the equipment.
I see no problem with the way you are turning your equipment on and off, though.
I think I read an article about one of Thomas Edison's light bulbs that has been on for about a hundred years or so. They are afraid to turn it off, because it probably would never turn back on. It's not so much the use of non mechanical electric or electronic equipment that causes failures, but the heating and cooling of the components when they are power cycled.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]