It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Celeron 2.4ghz faster than....?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:16 am 

I bought a Celeron 2.5 Ghz mainboard/CPU combo to replace my kids old and flaky computer.

What would a Celeron 2.4ghz compare to in an AMD? Is it faster than say a XP1700+?

and speaking of not knowing a lot.. what IS a celeron? What's the difference between that and "pentium"?

I just need it for kiddy games and will use my old GF4TI4200... I assume for $99.00 it should be fine.

Their old computer is bad... PII.. rebooots at random all the time... has been really bad since upgrading it to XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:13 pm 

A celeron is a pentium with out on board memory or "cache" so it has to go outside the chip for cache (if your motherboard has it) otherwise there is no cache.

This makes the page of memory reserved for processor operations slower, but also makes the chips much less expensive to manufacturer and are therefore offered as an entry level chip.

It doesn't mean they can't be fast, a 2500 celeron (2.5) is definitely faster than a 1700 Athlon, but AMD also makes a chip without on board cache it's called the Duron. They come in the same speed flavors as the Atlon's and stuff but usually ship way later.

Some people say that during the packaging process if something goes wrong with a chip at it's intended clock speed, they just clock it down and sell it for less. I have the same theory about on board cache. If something goes wrong on that wafer with the on board memory they will just burn it off with a laser and sell it as a DURON/CELERON. Just a theory I have no facts to back that part up, but it makes sense that out of all the chips made with cache on board some of that memory will not pass quality control, and it makes sense to me that the manufacturer would try to make up for that loss by finding some way to sell chips without on board cache. Maybe it's not that simple though, it IS way over my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:07 pm 

Thanks Keen! Very informative actually. Here is the direct link to what I got for $99 free shipping... I think it will be a vast improvement for what they have now.

Hope the mobo is decent.. I really don't know much about brands and specs.. but just so it doesn't CRASH all the time and they will be happy campers.

http://3btech.net/ce2msi64como.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:33 pm 

Actually MSI's are known for their stability.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]