It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Seeking help with Win2000 server crash and active directory,
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:35 am 

Hi,

Here's the deal: I need to get some quick advice on the following situation: I had a win2k server/domain controller crash on me: can't boot, bsod, tried a repair bla bla... can't seem to bring it back online... unfortunately, I didn't have a backup server (doh)... is there any way for me to set up a new server and transfer the active directory to it?

Argh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:50 am 

Hoo boy.

you can try building another machine with the same name and doing a system state restore to it...depending upon what kind of backups you were doing.

If you do get it up, (er, no pun intended) put in another machine and join that domain and dcpromo it right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:06 am 

Quote:
If you do get it up, (er, no pun intended) put in another machine and join that domain and dcpromo it right away.

I am praying for that!!!!! But it looks like the system is hosed badly. I am picking up the pieces for another IT, hence, there is no backup nor is there any other domain controller :(....

I don't have any other options right? No magic file that I can import? Really?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:5d32e588b1]are you sure it's software? Have you tried hardware solutions? ram? video card? et'al? Any boot errors at all?[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:27 am 

I'm not sure of anything right now, but I can't foresee an easy solution, upon bootup, It either completely stalls on the loading screen of Win2k, or, if I'm lucky, I can log in as an admin, but only to get a message telling me that a security service can't be run, that I need to run it in directory recovery mode... which I did, but can't do much since I can't get inot my active directory... tried a repair... when it completely crashed on reboot where a system file was said to be faulty. That's when the techy told me that he had added some new ram recently.. which I promptly removed, and it rebooted back to the same ol' problem... I'm going to try another repair tomorrow, and if all fails, reinstalling win2k (I will keep my acitve directory right?).

bah, I'm hating this... if all fails, I'm in for creating a new dns, and setting up new accounts for 50+ people, and manually copying over their profiles to the newly created ones... bah. Sounds like a crappy day for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:28 am 

I'm loving your quick responses though guys!!! I feel like I have someone to share my distraught with :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:08ee628c45]well, I hope you figure it out. I've been up hours working on similar issues in the past. Sounds to me like either memory confilcts, or something corrupted or conflicting in the OS. Hard to tell. How active was the server? Was it used as a file server? How "recent" did the "techy" install that RAM? What else does the "techy" install on the domain controller? Do you have access to spare hardware you can use to swap parts, build a test system, or temp Active Directory while you work on the current one? Have a hdd you can use to mirror the current drive?

Oh, and disk raid array ftw.[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:50 am 

Damn server was pretty busy on a daily basis, but the "techy" used it as a personal machine also (go figure) and there is all sorts of crap on it... even an almost bootable WinME (It's one of the boot options, but dies at the loading screen haha). As for the ram, he added some a couple days ago. As for the spare hardware, I should be fine, I am going to do all sorts of swapping tomorrow... my last resort will still be to try to reinstall on top of the existing os... and cross my fingers.

...and yeah... raid ftw...

Thanks for your input though!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:e77996e624]ug, using the ad as a personal machine... just asking for trouble...dual boot with ME...ug....

I feel your pain.....lol.....[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:55 am 

MogWaEE wrote:
, It either completely stalls on the loading screen of Win2k, or, if I'm lucky, I can log in as an admin, ...

After hearing that I wonder if you can just leave it "stalled" and it finally boots well enough. I've seen a couple win2k servers that we thought were goners, but just leave them for like hours (like 2 or even 3 or 4) and they finally come to the ctrl-alt-delete screen./

If you get it that far, dcpromo some other machine (if you can) quicklike. Sieze all the roles and use the hidden shares to copy off whatever you can then write that dead sucker off for a rebuild.

I also agree with dmschaos tho, see if you can just 'undo' whatever the other guy might have 'done'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 am 

I left it stalling tonight... I'll cross my fingers for it to work tomorrow...

I'm going to sleep this one off :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:55 pm 

Have you tried every option in the F8 menu?

if you press F8 before Windows begins to load but after the BIOS screen you should get some options, if it's a DC you should see AD recovery mode option or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:19 am 

Yeah... I did get into AD recovery mode, but to no avail, I could not access my AD... checking my AD files with ntdsutil froze up... the weird thing is that at a certain point, I managed to get the network back up (not cached as I could really access the whole network) but I was never able to dcpromo my new server: major frustration, so close, but no go. So here I am, with a new server, a new domain, and going around all 50+ machines switching the new profiles around (I understand the need for a SID key, but I am hating it right now!!!).

Thanks a whole lot to all of you guys for your help and support... I still need it! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:48 pm 

Well, at least after paying for all this time, you can probably sell your customer on the value of a second domain controller..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]