It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: PC has been rebooting itself during games
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:37 pm 

So a few months ago I decided, "hey, I haven't updated my ATI drivers in a while, I think I will go do that!" ... so I went to the site, downloaded and installed the new drivers, and ever since my PC has been rebooting itself during games. It will just go black, make this weird noise through the speakers like I just hit the motherboard with a hammer, and then it reboots.

When it comes back up, I have the message from Windows telling me that I just recovered from a serious error, I report it, and it takes me to the Microsoft support page and tells me it was due to a driver issue - I assume it is something to do with the ATI drivers, but why? I have reinstalled them over and over since then, each time a new version comes out, with no luck.

When I was playing WoW, it would just lock up and freeze, sometimes it would reboot but usually just a lockup where I had to reset the machine. Now that I quit WoW and am only playing Q4 for the most part, it reboots itself all the time.

I have tried downloading and installing the lastest drivers, have gone to Device Mananger and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device ... nothing works.

This is a Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb card, Windows XP Pro SP2 - thanks for any help!

Mate / Diesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:26 pm 

I know this is a stupid question but did you uninstall the driver before reinstalling the new one? I also found that the ATI drivers are hard to clean out completely and found that this type of utility helps to clean them out completely before the re installation.
http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:53 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion Capn. I installed that app, followed the instructions, cleaned my cab and my drivers, reinstalled them, and first Q4 game I play it does the same thing :(

Could it be something physically wrong with the video card and still look like a driver issue to Windows? Just wondering if I am barking up the wrong tree here - this is really frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:a12fcee625]Hey Mate, try to remove the drivers, reboot then let the computer find your hardware and install the default drivers. Then go get the old drivers or at least a couple versions back and install them. See if the problem occurs again. I had that happened to me before and it turned out to be RAM, so just rule that out before we go hunting for other problems :)[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:36 pm 

cleaned the cab and the drivers again, removed everything, rebooted again and let it install it's own drivers - installed the 4.7 drivers (oldest I could find) and it still happens.

aaagggghhhh!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:22 am 

Could very well be the power supply even though you're getting the driver error.
I've had the same problem many moons ago and a new high end brand name power supply solved the problem.
Also before you go on a witch hunt for a hardware issue...... clean the fan on the video card and give the whole system a good cleaning with a can of air duster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:16 pm 

and make sure tha fan is working. i had a few fail and that would make mine reboot. when they got hot.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]