It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: What is everyone up to these days ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:54 pm 

I am still in Colorado driving to Denver 3 days a week but WFH Monday and Friday because I drive the kids to an academy. I have had full custody of my daughter and she really wanted into this academy which has no bus system so I hooked up with the mommy network for ride share.

Settled into new house finally, got hit worse by hail than the BIG FLOOD which did washout the road nearby and upend cars into the creek.

Got hit head-on in Feb which caused a big freakout by the Doctors but they realized they were totally wrong before we had to do open-heart surgery thank god.

Just working and raising my kid, no time for skiing etc but thinking about making a little time for some holiday nostalgia Quake-3.

Always a one-trick horse, never really took to other games but I know the entire crew here plays them all - what have you been playing/doing lately ?

Post subject: Re: What is everyone up to these days ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:02 pm 

Good to hear that you are doing well.

I am now part of a clan called Shadow Recon Group. We have members from all parts of the U.S. and others from Canada, The U.K. and Malta.

We have two Quake 3 servers (mine), two Call of Duty 4 (one paid for by clan donations and one paid for by a member in California), Medal of Honor (paid for by a clan member in the midwest), one Rising Storm / Red Orchestra 2 (paid for by another member in the midwest), and a Battlefield 3 (paid for by me), and a Teamspeak 3 server paid for by clan donations.

All members in good standing have the option to have admin rights on the Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 servers, and we have strict rules concerning language, hacks and being respectful to all players who visit our servers.

Our website is provided for free to the clan by the member who pays for our Rising Storm / Red Orchestra 2 server. His background was in IT, but he now raises exotic birds and sets up websites for others in this industry for a living.

My website is now back up, and I set up a separate Shadow Recon Group forum on it as a backup for our main clan website.

If anyone here is interested in checking out our Teamspeak 3, any of our servers, or websites here is the info. You must register to get access to the websites, and may only be able to join the lobby in Teamspeak 3 until authorized to change channels.

http://spyderweb.clanservers.com

http://www.shadowrecongroup.com

ts55.gameservers.com port 9132 or 64.154.38.226 port 9132 (Teamspeak 3}

63.211.110.56:27960 Q3 vanilla 320 custom maps (SPYDERWEB)

63.211.105.70:27960 Q3 CPMA 1.48 with all CPMA maps and some custom maps (SPYDERWEB-2)

8.6.74.101:28960 COD 4 v1.7 USA FFA (Shadow Recon Group 1)

173.199.76.48:28960 COD 4 v1.7 U.K. mixed mode / teamplay U.K ( [S R G 1] TeamPlay )

173.199.103.18:25200 Battlefield 3 ( Shadow Recon Group )

68.232.169.88:7780 Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm (The Budgies Nest) 20 bots

8.6.75.144:7673 Medal of Honor (Badgers Hole)

On our Call of Duty 4 and Bf3 servers alone, we have had players join from the following countries: USA, Germany, Belgium, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Austria, Sweden, Netherlands, France, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Czech Republic, Finland, Greece, Switzerland, Hungary, Ukraine, Jordan, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Morocco, Philipines, Turkey, Argentina, Honduras, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, and Costa Rica. (there may be more but I haven't checked lately.)

So, as you can see, PC gaming is still a big part of my life (when my wife and I are not visiting relatives or going to Disney World Orlando or Busch Gardens Tampa, among other things that we enjoy doing)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:21 am 

Were you in my server last night, Blade?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:19 pm 

Still live in San Antonio, TX I work for Rackspace Hosting I am a Windows Systems Administrator IV.

Married to same lovely lady since 92.

what else? I travel to Denver, Michigan, and Indiana a lot. I mostly play XBOX 360 these days not so much on the PC. Reflexes have slowed way down so I'm not too good at twicth shooers any more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:37 pm 

None of the games I listed that I play other than Quake 3 are "twitch shooters".

The closest one that might be considered a "twitch shooter" is Call of Duty 4, but it also involves a lot of strategy on the part of the player.

Battlefield 3 focuses on team play and the capture of objectives by the opposing teams. You get more points for capturing an objective and holding it than you do for killing a player on the opposing team. Plus you get the fun of driving a vast array of military vehicles and flying a vast array of military aircraft. And your team mates can fly and ride with you. It is the team who makes the most of the resources available to it and captures the most objectives that wins.

Red Orchestra2/Rising storm is also team based, and supports bots, so you can join a server that has no other players on it and still have a great time. It is a slow paced, objective capture or objective defend based game, that closely mirrors the actual conditions that soldiers faced during WW2. If you charge a position to capture it, you will die pretty quickly. Use of cover is mandatory if you and your team want to survive and defeat the enemy, and long range shots carefully and slowly placed to eliminate the enemy to allow your team to advance and take an objective, or popping up from cover to eliminate the enemy's advance when you are defending a position will make the difference of whether your team wins or loses.

Medal of Honor is also team based, and was a precursor to Battlefield 3, and reminds me very much of that game in the way that battles play out. It is also objective based, with attacking teams and defending teams. It is mostly ground based combat with smaller maps for the most part, and teams must also work together to either capture or defend objectives. The more you as a team mate die, the less chance your team has of winning.

In less than two years, I will be 70 years old. I still enjoy all of these games and many more on the PC.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]