It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 73 inch DLP - any reason not to buy ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 pm 

http://www.paulstv.com/DLP-Televisions/Mitsubishi-WD73742-Includes-$300-Restaurantcom-Gift-Certificate.asp

I do not like the fact it cannot be mounted on the wall and requires a stand. Price seems good for the size. I can save 200 and skip the wireless and get the previous model.

Post subject: Re: 73 inch DLP - any reason not to buy ?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:50 am 

DLP tv's are sadly very out of date now.

One good use for the technology, however is found in projectors that can provide a 100 inch picture if far enough away from the hanging screen that has to be used with them.

The main drawbacks to a DLP system are that they require a motor to spin a color wheel at up to 10,00 rpm, and they rely on an expensive halogen lamp that has to be replaced frequently.

The bearings in the motor can wear out, causing the unit to become noisy.

But, if the price is right, and it is new, go for it.

I personally would do some serious price and reliablilty comparisons, and from what I have read, plasma has the best side viewing angles and LCD with LED back lighting are rapidly catching up with plasma (they are calling them LED tv's, but that is a false statement and marketing ploy - the picture is still generated by LCD).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:33 pm 

I thought they ditched the wheel for the chip ?

Ultra clear picture

Video and graphics produced by DLP technology are sharper because the DLP chip minimizes the gaps between pixels in an image. Spaced less than one micron apart, its mirrors create a smooth film like image.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/

My LCD was really expensive and its puny. 73 inches for around 1200 is going to be tough to beat.

Looks like a wheel 'filter' here but a chip does the reflection

http://www.dlp.com/technology/how-dlp-works/

Thanks for the input.

I found some more about the elimination of the color wheel and elimination of replacement lamps.

LED-based DLPs
The first commercially-available LED-based DLP HDTV was the Samsung HL-S5679W in 2006, which also eliminated the use of a color wheel. Besides long lifetime eliminating the need for lamp replacement and elimination of the color wheel, other advantages of LED illumination include instant-on operation and improved color, with increased color saturation and improved color gamut to over 140% of the NTSC color gamut. Samsung expanded the LED model line-up in 2007 with products available in 50", 56" and 61" screen sizes. For spring 2008, the third generation of Samsung LED DLP products are available in 61" (HL61A750) and 67" (HL67A750) screen sizes.

Laser-based DLPs
The first commercially-available laser-based DLP HDTV was the Mitsubishi L65-A90 LaserVue in 2008, which also eliminated the use of a color wheel. Three separate color lasers illuminate the digital micromirror device (DMD) in these projection TVs, producing a richer, more vibrant color palette than other methods. See the laser video display article for more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I love DLP's and their price...

However, the lamps do blow out. If I got another DLP, it would be the largest one they make and put it in my home theater room and only use it for viewing the latest and greatest movies. No more letting the kids watch sponge bob and iCarly on the home theater tv! I have a 55" panasonic plasma now, and it's awesome! viewing angles are the best, and the deep black color for night time movie viewing is second to none. Plasmas do suffer from major glare during daytime, bright room viewing though. So, if it's the "home theater" movie night type thing your going for, then Plasma all the way. If it's day time soap opera stuff you're more intersted in, then lcd is better for that. LED's are coming a long nicely though...

But more to your point, if that TV is for extended daily daytime tv viewing, I'd skip it, get a smaller LCD tv that fits in the same price range, and it will last a lot longer. If it's only for occasional blockbuster movie time, it's a damn fine tv for the price and will last a long time before you will need to relamp it.

JMHO!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 am 

I was obviously very wrong when I stated that DLP used old technology, and I was basing my statements on old information.

If Mitsubishi is using tri color lasers and led illumination, then all of the problems with this technology seems to have been solved.

I always thought that the Texas Instruments DLP chips were a very cool idea.

If the tv you are planning to buy uses tri color lasers and led back lighting, it is a steal for that price.

Plasma is still the only technology that directly illuminates every pixel, and since the picture is not reflected on to a screen, the side viewing angles have to be better than any other technology that is presently being used.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:37 pm 

I have a 72" samsung and they are high maintenance I've heard the Mitsubishi's are also

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]