It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 105 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: RAGE is looking amazing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 am 

I am sorry you guys have had problems with Steam.

I never have, but I haven't received my copy of Rage that I ordered from New Egg yet, so I cannot comment on that situation.

I like to have the physical media also. That is why I ordered DNF, Brink and Rage from New Egg.

But when I can buy a game like Metro 2033, that was released in 2010 for five dollars, it isn't worth it to me to buy it for between twenty to fifty dollars in a store or online just to have the media.

Granted, if my hard drive crashed today, and I had to download all of the Steam games in my library that I don't have the media for, it would take me days, even though i have a 20 meg cable internet service, that usually can deliver close to 30 megs on a good day.

That is why I have a SATA / USB external enclosure with a 2 terrabyte drive in it that I use to back up my two entire systems, that are running Ubuntu Linux, Win 2000 pro, two different Win XP installs, and Win 7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:31 pm 

You can make physical copies (either DVD or CD format) of your games via the BACKUP option in Steam but I believe you need steam to run them again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:51 am 

Some helpful PC links

RAGE Hardware and Software Issues Subforums-PC

RAGE support

RAGE cfg maker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 am 

Wow Dead city and getting the defib upgrade was a pain, but a very memorable level

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:37 am 

I couldn't find the Mayor without the help of a You Tube walkthrough vid. Duh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm 

No I'm with you it was stupid finding him and then to add insult he was one of the first doors closest to the entrance to Well Springs! I've finally got the whole town down to a tight little route and I have memorized most of what I need in there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:36 pm 

I saw the sign with the arrow that said "Mayor's office" after 10 minutes looking for the place... :p

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 am 

Well, RAGE doesn't look very amazing to me.

When I try to start the game, my screen goes blank, and I get an error that windows has shut it down, and I get the blue spinning circle in Win 7, telling me that windows is searching for the problem, but I get no message telling me what the problem is.

This sucks big time. If I can't even get it to try to run, that is worthless.

I always had a lot of faith in id games, but this problem is inexcusable.

Carmack says that the whole situation with this game is a cluster f*ck.

If he admits that, and also that he designed the game for console rather than PC gaming, and that driver issues are the problem, maybe id has sold out the PC community in favor of making the almighty bucks.

I just loaded the game today, and I can't play it. WTF!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:45 pm 

Spyder:

I hate to ask this cz I think I know the answer but - are your video card drivers current? I had a similar problem and the drivers fixed it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:22 pm 

The forums I checked stated that the latest drivers that were released fixed Rage, but caused many of the older games to crash. I have a lot of older games (older meaning from 2010 releases, back to the 1990's), and if any one of them is disabled just because I want to play RAGE, this is unacceptable also.

One thread I went to had a very complicated fix that used earlier Radeon drivers, and came from a person in the UK, but if I have to spend hours trying to find the specific driver that he mentioned, installing it (which requires deleting the drivers I have now, that work perfectly on all of the other games), and then creating an autoexec.cfg file, and tweaking many settings in it, that is unacceptable also.

I think that we are witnessing the demise of id software's PC oriented game design plan, due to the pressure to release games for the console market. Their philosophy of releasing a game "when it's ready" obviously has been over ridden by their new parent company, Zenimax.

It is very sad to think that id has been forced into this kind of situation, where they are bound by the influence of their new parent company to release a game that is obviously broken from the start on many PC platforms.

This is the only game in a very long time that I have had to worry about tweaking just to get it to run, and that is also unacceptable. I hope that they develop a compatibility patch soon. Until that time, I refuse to play it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:17 pm 

I'm not TOO bend out of shape about it. There have always been ways to tweak the games on the PC. Nowadays I expect that I probably won't be able to play games in their full glory on day one. Tweaking has become a part of it unfortunately. Most recently Alice:MR for example had driver compatability issues on release. I haven't gotten dead island yet due to the reports of issues. Resident evil 5 wasn't even playable for me (inability to change the FOV) until someone released a 'trainer' and the hassle of keeping those types of tweaks in line is a pain in the a55.

With RAGE, it played for me out of the box (nvidia) but adding some paramater tweaks along with beta drivers has made it smooth like butter and gorgeous too. So far no problems with older games that I still play.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:11 pm 

I can accept without question the necessity to apply tweaks and updated drivers to improve the quality of game play and graphics rendering, but to hear on the forums that drivers developed by multi billion dollar companies to target a specific game's problems, and in this process, render other games that I have had no problems with unplayable, is not something I would ever have expected.

If they cannot solve this problem I will not be playing RAGE. I am very disappointed with the whole situation right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:04 am 

Well, I calmed down a little. Rage doesn't have me in a state of RAGE anymore.

So I tried some tweaks, and at least I got it to start.

I am still reading the forums and trying to find a fix for the major problems with the way the game renders it's graphics, but at least I can play it now, even though it makes me queasy sometimes.

I am still hoping that the developers will finally iron out their problems, and patch it for better compatibility.

It looks like it could be a great game. Too bad it has so many problems.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 am 

Best recommendation I have so far for the campaign is, for each town each time you do return to town run at least one race each time. Completing them is required to upgrade your car and you will want to do that, but if you put off the racing because you enjoy the shooter, you'll wind up having to race back to back races to catch up.

Do them every time you return to town they're easier to digest that way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:00 am 

Had to read that twice but I get it. I do put off the races.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 105 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next