It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Sundays tornado out my back door..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 pm 

My neighbor caught this on video, I did not see it live.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfCaI1it8Vg[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Sundays tornado out my back door..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:56 pm 

Wow, those videos are awsome!!!

Also a little scary. Was any damage done to anyone's property?

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 pm 

I will have to check this out at home, my connex at work sux

I have been lucky enough to witness 3 tornadoes up close and personal....they are scary, very scary. After the second , I was awaiting the third, thinking that these kind of things come in 3's....sure enough, the third hit a warehouse that I was living in in Channelside, Tampa. Not much damage there, just roof damage and a ton of water entry after parts of the roof were torn to shreads.

The first was teh worst though, I will have to try and find an old story in the St Pete Times archives about it. It missed me by a half a block, but did major damage....one of the worst ever in Florida. And this was not a twister like you think of, skinny at the bottom, and widening as it rises. This thing was a block wide at the bottom, with tons of debris flying horizontally.

[color=#0000BF][font=][size=150]~Retired~[/size][/font][/color]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:42 pm 

Hey Blade, We had one over here on the southeast side of town too. The one that went over the Southlands Mall a half
mile from the house here. Neighbor banged on the door real frantic like, I answered and said what up? He yelled for us to
get in the basement NOW and I said why? He said look over there. Big tornado coming straight to the house. And sure enough
it was coming right at us. We hightailed it to the basement and listened to it go by. It missed the house and the whole neighborhood
by a half mile because thankfully it turned a little and hit the Lowes and Mall instead. Golf ball size hail damaged the roof. Gotta get that
replaced now along with all the patio furniture out back and some windows. My gas outdoor heater got beat to shit too.
Sorry, no pictures. Too close to grab a camera. Yesterday was the first day in a week we didnt have funnel clouds in our area.
I know you have been having them  a lot too. Cant wait for June to be over!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 pm 

Anyone heard from Hex? was this touchdown anywhere near Littleton?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:17 am 

Hex is fine thanks.  SUMOLDOOD is directly East of my pad about 15 miles.  In-laws are up north near the earlier tornadoes but the worst they got was thumbnail sized hail for a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:24 am 

Ah Hex lives - cool.  Whatcha been up to ?

I grew up on 'Tornado Alley' west Chicago.  When I was just a 4 year old boy I played across the street in the vacant lot which was just a foundation.  The house had been vacuumed up by a tornado, we had lots of drills in the basement on army cots, I remember it like yesterday.

I told my daughter she is being raised here where they dont happen - Oops.  Just the day prior to 5 of them including the video, I told her they do occur  in colorado but they are rare and normally east of I-25.

I am still wrong, its like being in Chicago all over again.

last summer I was getting lunch in Longmont CO where I work and a funnel cloud developed like right in front me while parking at Boston Market.  The towns sirents went off and people were heading in doors.  I was calculating if I needed to drive hard west and fast as BM has no basement.  It was something to see.

Funnel retreated and did not touch down.

While flying in chicago I saw an evil jet black cloud system travel north-south west of the field.  That tornado wiped out plainfield high school, I flew over it and the houses were completely removed, just the curb and the basement remained not evena  lawn and the house turned into a debris field in the corn field across the way.  yet house on either side were intact.  Luckily the high school which got hit had let out and all students were gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:06 pm 

Hex wrote:
Hex is fine thanks.   SUMOLDOOD is directly East of my pad about 15 miles.  In-laws are up north near the earlier tornadoes but the worst they got was thumbnail sized hail for a minute.

Good to hear you're OK, it looked like a nasty one.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]