It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: HDTV - Digital Cable Hookup question...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:43 pm 

I just bought an HDTV.  My digital cable box does not have an HDMI output plug.  So basically, I am hooking up my TV directly through the coaxial cable coming out of my digital box. 

I have several HD channels, and none of them work with my current setup - i get some audio, but no video.  Am I supposed to receive HD signals directly through my cable, or do I need an HDMI connection?  Or is my cable just crappy? 

Any help is much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: HDTV - Digital Cable Hookup question...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You need an HD Cable box to receive the HD stations. Just call your cable company and tell them your situation. They will give you an HD box (it's a few bucks more a month for the HD box) and you should be all set. Make sure you tell them to supply you with an HDMI cable with your box, unless you have one already or feel like forking some more dough over for those overpriced cables.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:05 am 

The HDMI cables came with my TV - there was just no port on my box.  This sounds good, I will call them in the morning.  I sure didnt buy a big ass TV 1 week before the Superbowl to watch it in standard def :D

Thanks man!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Sure man, no problem! :) Hey, it wouldnt hurt to ask them to bring you another HDMI cable anyway. You could use it for a blue ray player, or next get system like a PS3 or 360 or something...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 pm 

If your cable company doesn't supply an HD box with HDMI you will need to get a HDMI-DVI converter.
I had to get a converter when I first got my plasma. Then I upgraded to the HD DVR box which had HDMI.

What kind of HDTV did you get? Plasma or LCD?
I can't believe how much the prices have dropped! I paid almost 4 thousand for mine in 2005. Now they are 700 dollars!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:27 pm 

Chaos - Okay, Ill ask for the extra HDMI cable.  This big ass TV makes me want to invest in a blue ray player.  That's the problem with new technology, it just makes you want to upgrade everything else.

Bunker - I got a LCD.  I was going for the 42 inch, but I got a $300 off coupon at Costco, so I ended up getting the 47"  for less than $1000.  It's a little too big for the room, but who cares right? 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:19 am 

It's NEVER too big. (that's what she said) You will see that after watching it for a while.
Don't forget to browse the setup options on your cable box for picture format. Sometimes you have to manually change it or you get black bars on some programming.

What cable company do you have?
You MUST watch National geographic HD. and Discovery HD.
Look for a show called Taboo.

As far as a blue ray player. I assume your set is 1080p right? (most new ones are these days) Otherwise blue ray is useless ;)

Also, how far from the set are you? 47 incher should be like 10 feet max I believe.

Last edited by bunkeR on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:25 am 

Chaos,

Nobody should ever get ripped off on HDMI cables. Stay far away from Best Buy and the like who try to sell you gold plated Monster cables etc..

Here is an HDMI cable for 2 bucks!  I ordered one. It works.
It's a digital signal. It either works or it doesn't.
Unless you are running it 50-100 feet I wouldn't go crazy with the good ones.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-6-F ... 320&sr=1-3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:20 pm 

I have Northland Cable, its a local cable company.  Don't have Discovery or Nat Geo TV yet, but I have all the networks and some sports channels in HD.  And yes, my tv is 1080 p. 

I'm about 8 feet or so from the TV.  And your right, its NOT too big.  I just had to get used to it a bit.  I love how it takes up so much of my FOV.  Its like I'm actually there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm 

Do you have a PS3 or blu ray player? Wait until you see THAT!
I bought a HD DVD (don't laugh) player for $30 for the family room. The TV in there is only 1080i.
Upconverts look nice and HD DVD's look amazing AND they can be had for $5 a piece :)

8 feet is perfect! Especially when you fire up a 1080p movie.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 pm 

I joined the HD revolution a couple months ago too. Loving it. I have to order the bigger package though. I"m only getting the network channels now.

I'm still waiting for the cheap Bluray/Netflix capable players. Haven't had much luck finding one for under $200 though. Shame Xbox can't get their act together and get a bluray player included. I might actually buy one if they did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ps3 ftw finko ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:16 pm 

Hey guys:

I jumped into the Hi Def revolution years ago with a Panasonic 34 inch 1080i tv with a CRT in it!

It weighed 180 pounds in the packaging, and about 165 after we unpacked it.

My wife and I had to rent a refrigerator dolly from Home Depot just to get it up the six steps on the front porch and into the house. You would have laughed your asses off watching us try to get into the house. It was like a Three Stooges movie, with one Stooge missing.

We still have it in the living room, and it works well.

About 2 years ago, we bought a 42 inch Vizio 1080i LCD for $1100.00 to put in the family room from Sams Club. Now you can get the 1080p versions of the same tv much cheaper, but overall, we are satisfied with it.

If anyone wants anything in the way of cables, adapters, etc. - check out http://cablewholesale.com I buy a lot of stuff from them.

One other thing: Philips has a couple of standard DVD players on the market now that will upconvert your standard DVD's to 1080i, if you connect them to your tv with an HDMI cable. They also support Divx, and Divx ultra, along with many other video formats readily downloadable from the web. Wal Mart sells a very capable one for $39.95. I bought two of them and they are really great deals for the price.

With the analog to digital conversion coming up soon, you also can get two $40.00 vouchers free from the Federal Government, to purchase the off the air converter boxes. A lot of the network stations are transmitting high def programming on multiple channels from the same station, and you can get this off the air with rabbit ears for free, and if your tv has an off the air digital tuner built in, you might not need the converters. However, I bought two of them for use with my battery operated tv's in case of a power failure, and a 12 volt ac converter to power the box from a car battery.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Last edited by SPYDER on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:08 pm 

For anyone getting their feet wet in the HDTV world, Panasonic has 2 entry level sets that are really nice. They are 720p/1080i but in reality most of your viewing is in 720p.
And, unless you are sitting close to a 1080p set you will not notice the difference.
These sets don't come with powerful speakers/sub but most hook up a home theatre in a box anyway.

When choosing a plasma or LCD keep in mind a few things..
Sports are fast action and while LCD is getting better, it usually has ghosting where plasma does not.

If you view in a well lit room a plasma may have some glare, however the newer ones have a film to eliminate most of that now.

-Burn in, Over hyped today. I have 3 plasma sets and not ONE burn in issue.
-Color and clarity, Plasma wins hands down.
Also remember to NEVER judge a set by the in store settings. Their feeds are split and horrible, plus they leave them on standard settings.
Bring a blue ray move with you and ask to play it. Play with the settings.

42 inch plasma for $899
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0703056233

50 inch plasma for $1100
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8061797099

The BEST plasmas are made by Pioneer, however they have just announced they are done with producing plasma sets. So if you find a KURO elite on sale buy it! Those sets will blow your mind!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0290068409

Here is a really good audio video forum with lots of smart people. Find the sub forum that suits your needs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

For the plasma people:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

For the LCD people:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Last edited by bunkeR on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:06 pm 

Here is my next Plasma!

yeah right
Panasonic 103 inch plasma. I think it's reduced down to 80 grand now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next