It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Proud of my country
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 am 

Even though 'my' candidate didn't win in the primaries or the national election, I am still very proud of my country for the ability to overcome our history of race relations.  The election of Barack Obama is a watershed moment in our national history.  I disagree witht he man, and his politics, but I love the fact that our nation saw passed color to elect him.

I hope that he is a good, if not great, President.

Post subject: Re: Proud of my country
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:41 pm 

McCain was my man, and I wish he had beaten bush who Letterman last night said is returning home to Texas at his compound 'Rancho Inepto'.  I love political humor and its going to be just as good regarding Obama insults.

However near the end of this campaign McCain who is certainly deserving and qualified for the presidency began sounding old and like 'more of the same' so I wanted to mix it up and get radical. Hopefully Obama and the, even the perhaps misplaced 'hope' surrounding him provides the extra ooomph! to get this economy/country back on track.

But as the polarized guys on my team said the day after the election - 'Its over now and as Americans we put the arguments behind us and work together now'.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 pm 

Yeah, the country has certainly come a long way. That's for sure. In PA at least, you're not going to find a lot of the pro-obama types once you leave the big cities. Not sure if that's an indication of any real change in race issues, or if Bush just put that bad of a scar on the Republican party.

I wasn't too thrilled how the media (both news and entertainment) handled Obama with kid gloves through the entire process. It's like they were almost afraid to really go after him when given the chance, but unleashed the pitbulls on every other candidate. Perhaps I missed the 'racist pastor' skit on SNL?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yah, I missed that skit too Finko...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:37 pm 

I actually grew up 4 blocks down the street from Obama's house in Chicago.

I think his election shows a departure from 'politics as usual' - which cant be a bad thing. 

But yeah, love him or hate him, you have to be rooting for him to do a good job.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]