It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Rage may not be moddable
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 am 

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but once again megatextures will be the bane of modders. My personal opinion is that megatextures are nice, but they're not 'all that'. How does Crysis do it? That game looks stunning and I never heard anything about a megatexture being used in it. They take an enormous amount of disc space, screwing any distribution of maps. They're a complete pain in the ass to create, and now you'll need 10 computers to even process one ;)

Anyway, here is the linkage:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=20291

Quote:
Willits replied that id is as open to the idea of having the game modded as the company's always been, noting that his own career was launched due to users' ability to mod id titles -- but confessed that the technical complexities of the game may make it less possible for modders to work with.

Quote:
Megatextures require huge amounts of processing power to be baked into their final form for distribution on the game disc; Willits alluded to a large number of computers working for a long time to process them, analogous to a CG render farm.

Post subject: Re: Rage may not be moddable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:49 am 

Bleh. 

This news fills me with... Rage.  Nevermind. 

Yeah, I think at some point id forgot that the reason their previous games have been so successful is because of the ability for the community to map, mod and contribute.  Recent id games feel a lot less like they are being built for a community, and feel more like they are simply being pumped out for a profit.  Of course this is not unusual in the game industry, its just not something I expected to see from id.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]