It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Need Traveling Advice!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:40 pm 

Well, I'm 34 and believe it or not...I've never flown. So, maybe some folks here can answer some questions. Particularly about the security stuff, checked bags, etc. Maybe let me know what to look out for.

They have the restrictions for liquids and gels. I was reading the 3oz rule, but does this apply if I place all this stuff in checked baggage? I'll be bringing my laptop, power supply, ethernet cable and mouse also. I'm thinking this should all go with me on carry-on.

Post subject: Re: Need Traveling Advice!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:28 pm 

My wife and I travel a lot. Domestic and International. I am going to assume you are taking a Domestic flight and so I will chime in on that aspect. If your flying International then let us know that but basically things are pretty much the same.
Ok now. Lets start now.
I am also assuming you will have an E-ticket printed out. You get to the airport and you can check in either with the Baggage people before you actually get in the airport or you can go to the counter where your airline is. You will need your e-ticket and I.D. to present to them. Check any baggage your may want to check.
They will give you a boarding pass unless you did the Internet check in. Then if you have one already just check the baggage with the dudes I mentioned before.
Then you will go to the security line. Some one will ask for your boarding pass and ticket and also ID again.
Be prepared in advance to take off your shoes, (I wear Vans slip on's when I fly.) :) belt and any other metal items like keys and even cell phones and put them in the little plastic tubs so they can be scanned. You will also need to take your laptop out of the bag and lay it flat in a tub also so it can be scanned.
While thats going on you will be asked to walk through the upright Human scanner and if all goes well there you can proceed to pick up your stuff, put your shoes back on and go to your gate and wait for your flight.
Gels, liquids and stuff. If you check a bag it doesnt matter how much you have. I do put that stuff in a big Zip lock bag just to keep stuff from leaking in your clothes etc. Baggage handlers can be a little rough with your stuff so thats a good idea.
If your not checking baggage then you need to put your little containers in a baggie and put those in the tub before scanning.
An your are correct with taking your computer stuff as carry on. DO NOT ever check stuff you that you cant afford to lose or even get stolen.
I can tell you many stories about people I know that got cameras, jewelry etc stolen or damaged because they check them.
Thats all I can think of for now. Its an easy process and most airports are pretty nice about helping NEWBs out.
Enjoy your trip. I dont think i left anything out. Im sure some one else chime in also.
Bon Voyage!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 pm 

Very helpful S.O.D :)

I have to stop at some kiosk with my drivers license for my ticket. The plant manager here is going to go with me to the airport to make sure everything goes OK. Not sure the company has ever had their people use one of those. My first time flying and I have the wonderful privilege of landing in Ohare, which I'm told is more of a city, than it is an airport. Leaving will be more interesting. I have to wake up at 3:30am, to fly out at 7:30 since my hotel is about an hour from the airport.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:38 am 

SUMOLDOOD gave you some great information.

I fly a lot, also. If you smoke, don't take a butane lighter with you, unless you put it in checked luggage. They allow one pack of matches, though.

O'Hare is one of the most confusing, large airports I have been in.

If you get lost, go to the closest airline people, and they can give you directions.

The website for the airline should have the latest info on what you can carry on the plane.

If in doubt, put it in your checked luggage.

Chicago is one of the nicest big cities I have ever been to - if you can swing it, stay for a couple of extra days and check it out.

One cool part of the area downtown by the river front, is the fact that you will be standing on what looks like solid ground, but if you walk down the steps to the river level near Marina Towers, you will see that there ia a highway underneath where you were standing.

There are even shopping malls and restaurants underground.

The view fron the observation deck of the Sears Tower is something you will never forget. If you don't get to do anything else, try to get there.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:35 pm 

Unfortunately, I'm being sent on business and not even staying in Chicago. Midway would have made for sense for my arrival, but it was too expensive I guess. I'll be in the Yorkville/Montgomery area ;/ Not a lot of room for wiggle in the site seeing dpt, but I'll get out there some day...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:33 am 

Dude,

You never flew?  I still remember flying out to meet you guys.  Cash only breakfast and I just had CC.  Man was I hungry. 

I used to fly freight out of Midway, flu through O'hares airspace for an encylopdia photo but had to wait so long to get a word in edgeways I put down on our nearby field for a bio-break and t/o again to get my clearance. Everything was SUPER-SIZED compared to lil schaumburg airport Roadkill and I used to fly out of.

Hey Resorquest laid off 50 people last spring and signed me and 2 dudes up for 'Enhanced Severance Stay Bonus' and it finally came last week in the mail, my little pot of gold I told my daughter as we quickly deposited the check.  The gumminent stab was 30 big ones.  Apparently they ignored my 28 exemptions :).

Working at digital-globe and would you believe the CFO's desk phone was getting forwarded to my cell phone ????????  Finally got that wrinkled out.

Have a nice trip in chi-town.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:06 pm 

Made it out alive. O'hare isn't as daunting as I expected. If you can read and follow the signs, you're in pretty good shape :) Flights went off without a hitch. Got a little scary on the way back when the guy sitting next to me warned me that he was 'under the weather'. Apparently he was pretty hung over, lol. So, I was a little on edge just waiting for him to hurl on me. But he made it through. Felt bad for him. He looked like shit :D

Now I know what people mean by being in a sardine can. They really pack you in there pretty tight.

I get that reaction a lot Blade. Basically, I've never had a reason to fly. Grew up pretty poor, so vacations (if we even took one) were always a car drive away. Family and friends have always been pretty nearby as well.

And yeah, I remember you trying to crash the LAN :p

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 am 

Hello everyone:

This is going to sound weird and contrarian but here goes:  My wife and I and our 18 yo daughter were flying from London to Logan.  Our daughter had bought a butane lighter as a gift for a friend from the Wimbledon Tennis gift store.  When we checked in her luggage, they asked if we had any lighters - we answered "yes".  They made us take it out of the luggage and move it into the carry-on.  The argument was that they don't want a fire in the luggage compartment.  It makes sense but go figure. 

It could be that international flights travel at 33,000 feet and that is much higher than domestic flights.  The pressure in the luggage compartment could be problematic.

SPYDER wrote:
SUMOLDOOD gave you some great information.

I fly a lot, also. If you smoke, don't take a butane lighter with you, unless you put it in checked luggage. They allow one pack of matches, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:13 am 

It must be different in London. Here in the US, I have had two butane lighters confiscated by the airport security folks, because I forgot to remove them and put them in my checked luggage. They literally had buckets full of them that they had taken from passengers.

And my flights from Tampa International to Baltimore Washington international and back flew at 35,000 feet.

I think that the idea of allowing matches came from the incident where the terrorist was trying to light the fuse on his shoe bomb, and the flight attendants smelled the sulfer odor. A butane lighter would be less easy to detect, or could be modified to be used as a weapon, or if they allowed multiple lighters to be carried on, they could be used as incendiary devices.

They also make all passengers remove their shoes now, so that they can be scanned for explosives.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Last edited by SPYDER on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:02 am 

I'm flying to Denver in a couple weeks for a camping trip w/ my bro.  Rest assured I will pack my D40 camera and all other real valuables in my carry on.

I have a camping stove with a butane tank, which I am assuming that I cant take with me - even in luggage?  Anyone know for sure what the rules on this are? 

I will be out in the wilderness for 5 days straight, and will fly home without the benefit of a shower.  I feel sorry for whatever poor bastard has to sit next to me on the flight home :D

Last edited by StormShadow on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:28 pm 

Hi StormShadow

According to this link, you can bring your stove and the gas cylinder with you if you prepare it as per the instructions they give. They treat the stove and cylinder as two separate items, so read carefully.

Try to sit next to a good looking woman. Maybe the pheremone levels you produce after 5 days will get some results - LOL

Here is the link http://www.travelsense.org/tips/specialitems.cfm

Other sites that I have been to state that every airline has different rules, so you might want to verify this with them.

Have a great trip!

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Last edited by SPYDER on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:36 pm 

SPYDER wrote:
Hi StormShadow

According to this link, you can bring your stove and the gas cylinder with you if you prepare it as per the instructions they give. They treat the stove and cylinder as two separate items, so read carefully.

Try to sit next to a good looking woman. Maybe the pheremone levels you produce after 5 days will get some results - LOL

Lol, I'm married so I'm sure the wife would not appreciate that.  Ill probably end up taking a whore-bath in a rest area sink.

It sounds like they will take the compressed gas cylinder, but it might be more trouble than its worth.  I think I can buy a new one for about 10 bucks or so at my destination so I will probably go that route..  Thanks for the link Spyder, lots of good stuff on that page.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]