It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: My TV died!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:14 pm 

Ya my main TV died. No picture just sound :@ Has been cutting out like that for the past few weeks.

So I ordered this last night.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889102118

After reading up on these HD tv's it seems plasma and LCD TV's came be damaged by gaming consoles? I guess it burns in images. I have heard of this before with older rear projection sets. But I guess not only leaving a game paused but games with fixed graphics like health bars and such will also damage the set. Is this true?

Any way to be safe I ordered the DLP since I heard this was not an issue with these TV's

For the price it seems to be a good TV. Any tips or suggestions on settings and cables would greatly be appreciated since I'm a total newb to these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:08 am 

Burn in is not a great issue with LCD, as far as I know, but it was an issue with Plasma. It is not an issue with DLP for the following reasons.

DLP uses a chip developed by Texas Instruments that has millions of microscopic mirrors on it that are rotated in one direction to reflect light, and rotated in another direction so as to not reflect light. the pattern of reflection or no reflection is what turns the pixels on the screen on and off.

To get the colors, DLP used a rotating color wheel to cause the reflected light to shine through the wheel at the instant that a certain color pixel needs to be generated.

The lamp that provides the light source, and the motor that spins the color wheel are both components that can fail after time, and the motor bearings have been known to be noisy.

The cost of the lamp can be pretty high, since it is a special high intesity component.

However, In my opinion, DLP gives the best picture quality of all three types, and the only reason that I bought an LCD 42 inch tv, was because of the special price I was lucky enough to get for it at the time that I bought it.

As far as cables go, I found a great source for just about any cable or adapter you might need. It is http://www.cablewholesale.com
Their prices are very competetive, and they have online tutorials on what cables should be used for many applications.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:50 am 

As far as cabling goes, it depends on what kind of devices you currently have, such as dvd players, vcr's, cable boxes, satellite boxes, game consoles, and whether or not you want to connect your PC to the tv.

The best rule to follow, is that the quality of the inputs from lowest to highest are as folows.
Coax, composite, s-video, component, HDMI.

Composite, s-video, and component all require separate audio inputs for sound, as well as your VGA input if you want to connect your pc to the tv.

I have connected my PC to the tv using a splitter cable I purchased from Cable Wholesale that allows me to use my pc monitor in the room where my PC is, and also use a 25 foot VGA male to male extension cable to connect to the tv, so that they both are connected at the same time.

I did the same with the sound and keyboard. I have a standard ps2 mouse and keyboard connected to the pc in the computer room, and a usb extension cable running from the computer room to the tv room, that I have a wireless usb Logitech keyboard, mouse and transmitter connected to. This arrangement allows me to have two keyboards and two mice connected to the pc at the same time, with no conflicts so far.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:37 pm 

cool thanks bro!
So far all I'll be hooking to it is the digital cable box and my 360.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:37 pm 

[quote1195929392=SPYDER]
Burn in is not a great issue with LCD, as far as I know, but it was an issue with Plasma. It is not an issue with DLP for the following reasons.

DLP uses a chip developed by Texas Instruments that has millions of microscopic mirrors on it that are rotated in one direction to reflect light, and rotated in another direction so as to not reflect light. the pattern of reflection or no reflection is what turns the pixels on the screen on and off.

To get the colors, DLP used a rotating color wheel to cause the reflected light to shine through the wheel at the instant that a certain color pixel needs to be generated.
[/quote1195929392]

I'm really starting to think we get our technology from crashed UFO's. That's just crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:41 am 

that's an excellent explanation spyder

i'd just like to add that the color wheels these days are usually six segment and spin at nearly 10,000 rpm.

When samsung produced their first 1080p dlp's they used 'wobulation' to double the amount of pixels. This involved vibrating the entire mirror chip so that each individual pixel could be in two places at once as far as the human eye is concerned.

LCD flat panel tv's can suffer image retention although why or how is beyond me. Plasma tv's have advanced to the point where burn in is a minimal concern. I use a computer on mine and watch lots of letter boxed 4:3 television; whatever image retention occurs usally dissipates completely in less than a minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:37 am 

Well just to update this... the TV is awesome! The 360 looks fantastic. i can't wait for all channels to be HD the few I have looks amazing. This set is only 720 but I think it's a great TV. My uncle has a 1080 plazma set and the picture is just about the same quality to me.

Does anyone have any opinions on the up-converting DVD players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:30 am 

I just bought two Philips DVP3060/37 dvd players from Wal-Mart.

They cost me less that 40 dollars apiece.

They are amazing units for the price!

They have so many features, that they come with a 53 page manual just to describe them. They support DVD, DVDRW +/-, DVDR +/-, CR-R, CDRW, Audio CD, Video CD formats 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0, Super Video CD, MP3 Disk, and DivX Disk formats 3.11, 4.x, 5.x, and 6.0.

File extensions .mp3 and .wma, JPEG/ISO, with a file extension of .jpg, DCF standard pictures, TIFF pictures, DivX with file extensions of .mpg, .avi, or .mp4.

Music bitrates for mp3 are 32 to 320 kbps, and wma bitrates of 32 to 192 kbps.

Q-pel and Global Motion Compensation.

They have composite, component, and HDMI video outputs, and anaog or digital PCM audio output jacks. (with HDMI the audio is integrated into one cable for video and audio).

If the HDMI cable is used, the unit upconverts the signal from a standard DVD to 1080 i , which is the highest resolution my two tv's will handle anyway, and the picture quality is excellent. The only way to achieve the highest existing standard available today, which is 1080 p, is to have an HD DVD or Blu Ray player and a compatible tv.

For now, I am very happy to watch 1080 i, and not have to spend a lot of money for 1080 p capability.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:14 am 

Nice! !dev1 Was that a black friday deal or the everyday price? Either way that seems like what I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:58 am 

Go to walmart.com and check eletronics - dvd players - 40 dollar category. It is selling for 39.86 on their website.

BTW, I quoted the wrong model number. It is a Phillips DVP3960/37.

Also, you can get a 6 foot HDMI cable from http://www.cablewholesale.com for 12.93 plus shipping, but if you need any other cables buy them there also - I think they have either a 20 or 25 dollar minimum purchase.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:54 am 

I wish my TV would die already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

heh, slyster...I was wishing that a few weeks ago, and it finally happened! Well, actually...the TV didnt actually die, but the colors came out of alignment on my old hitatchi projection hdtv, and it was enough for me to decide that it was time to upgrade (my tv was about 7yrs old)

I picked this up a couple weeks ago
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Mitsubis ... tDetail.do
I've always prefered the picture quality of DLP over plasma and LCD. I got a great deal on it too, as they were having a special and they knocked $300USD off of the price for that week, and I also got an additional 10% off for purchasing it online (even though I picked it up at a local circuit city). It's a great deal on an awesome TV.

HDMI is definitely the way to go for cabling, and since my DVD player did not have HDMI, I had to buy a new one of those too...I grabbed one of these:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung- ... tDetail.do
It's not quite HD, but it's definitely an upgrade from my old sony and the upconversion looks real nice.

I'm considering going with an HD DvD player, although a PS3 has also been in my sights as of late, and I think BlueRay may actually win this little war of the hd formats. Anyone have any insights in to this? Anyone own one of these players?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]