It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Toshiba HDA2 HD-DVD Player Price cuts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:05 am 

So, I came home today to one of my favorite sites yapping about this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071101/tc_ ... rWS6cjtBAF

The TV is nice, but I already have an HD set. I had my eye on that HD DVD player for $100 bucks. I've yet to see this (or any HD player) selling for under $250 mind you, so I grabbed my keys and wallet and got my ass to Walmart. Well....they were out ;/ In store deal only as far as I can tell also. That's what I get for working all day I guess.

Anyway, I came home (pissed off) and went to Circuitcity.com. Lo and Behold...they have it for $130 bucks and free shipping. Not walmart cheap, but still a hell of a lot lower than the 250-300 bucks that it's still retailing at most places.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba- ... tDetail.do

So, if you're in the market, now might be the time to grab one of these.

You can rent HD DVD's from Netflix also, so the cost of HD DVD's shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're signed up with that type of deal. It goes w/o saying that you should probably own an HD TV set if you buy one :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:01 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. Did anyone buy the 300+ dollar Acer Vista laptop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 am 

hahaha I happened to run across this super secret walmart sale website around midnight.
I went in around noon and the guy said these dudes where gone in less than an hour around 9am.

So how does your regular dvds look when upconverted to 1080 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:47 am 

I can see a format war looming in the horizon. HD DVD vs Blu Ray. Brings back memories of the battle between Sony Betamax and VHS - lol.

I think I will wait to see which one wins out, and also see how the prices shake out.

I still have a lot of commercial Beta movies, and quite a few Beta tapes of old tv shows that I recorded.

Of the three Beta vcr's that I owned, one is still working!

I guess that it is time for me to start backing everything up to VHS or DVD, before it finally dies.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:07 am 

Seems to be playing out differently this time though. I'm wondering if the fact that people can rent movies now is making a difference. You don't have to worry so much about investing all that money in DVD's, if you just get your movies from Blockbuster, Netflix, etc. Outside of the classics, it's very rare for me to buy a DVD these days.

I'm reading that Blueray is leading in sales, but I can't understand why. It's twice as expensive and most video nuts will tell you the picture quality is better with HD-DVD. Good marketing I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:28 am 

[quote1194240495=BLOTTO]
[/quote1194240495]

Finko ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 pm 

[quote1194262376=BLOTTO]
[quote1194240495=BLOTTO]
[/quote1194240495]

Finko ???

[/quote1194262376]

I don't have the player yet :p I have an HD set, but I think all it does for DVD's is stretch them out. My dvd player does progressive scanning which improves them a tad. My current DVD is too crappy to do any upconverting me thinks :D They still look great though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:54 pm 

oooooooooh ok
I was looking at the LG Blu to play both Blu Ray and HDDVD but they are way tooo high !

I wonder how they fill out the old movies on regular tv to 1080, most of them look great and not stretched out.

Anyhoo keep me posted on the quality and stretch or no stretch deal, my wallet is getting ichy ! !amazed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Slightly different setup - and using a hardware upscaler on the graphics card - but playing normal DVDs on my HD projector looks great on a 100" screen - not anything like as good as real HD content but still impressive.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 pm 

I have a Vizio 42 inch lcd tv with all of the current inputs and outputs, including a VGA 15 pin computer monitor compatible input with a mini jack for sound input that makes it fully compatible with the standard PC outputs.

I am currently able to use a 25 foot PC Monitor extension cable, connected to a VGA splitter cable, to view my PC video signals on my monitor and tv at the same time. I also have a 25 foot male to male mini sound cable connected to the tv, which has an output feeding an old 2.1 pc speaker set and subwoofer.

In addition to all of this, I also have a USB Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, that I use a 25 foot USB cable to connect the reciever up to in order to get it in front of the tv, and at the same time I have a separate PS2 keyboard and mouse connected to the PC.

This gives me the ability to control the PC from both locations, and so far there have been no conflicts with any of the components.

The picture quality on the tv is excellent, (after a few tweaks in my Nvidia control panel to get the brightness and gamma set up, since the signal over the 25 foot cable, and the unbalance caused by the VGA splitter cable cause some degradation of the signal).

Playing ETQW on a 42 inch monitor is very satisfying to say the least, and I was pleasantly surprised at the refresh rate of this tv - I have yet to experience any problems with fast action blurring or artifacts with any of the games I have played on it so far. The best graphics rendering, in my opinion are in the game Far Cry, with all of the great colors in some of the jungle scenes, and the way they rendered the water.

As far as DVD movies go, I am using an old Sony DVD player that has component outputs. It only upconverts DVD's to 480i, but they look pretty good, even at this resolution.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:05 am 

[quote1194674645=Finko]
Lo and Behold...they have it for $130 bucks and free shipping.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba- ... tDetail.do
[/quote1194674645]

They are $197.99 now, must have been for the one day ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:48 pm 

Yeah, guess so. To compete with Walmart probably. Seems BestBuy had the $99 deal going too, but I didn't hear about that one at the time.

I imagine they'll drop again for Christmas sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:04 pm 

Well, as expected, the upconversion is nothing to write home about. I don't see a noticeable improvement. Played my Matrix DVD and nothing particularly stood out. An older movie on DVD, like Poltergeist, seemed to look a little better though. It's a pretty subjective thing imo.

I purchased the Transformers HD-DVD to watch on it and was pretty blown away. Looked fantastic as expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:54 am 

[quote1195105769=Finko]
Well, as expected, the upconversion is nothing to write home about. I don't see a noticeable improvement. Played my Matrix DVD and nothing particularly stood out. An older movie on DVD, like Poltergeist, seemed to look a little better though. It's a pretty subjective thing imo.

I purchased the Transformers HD-DVD to watch on it and was pretty blown away. Looked fantastic as expected.
[/quote1195105769]

so the upconversion did not fill out your tv ?
How are they doing it with the old non HD movies on the tv, HDUniversal,HBO,MOJO,Showtime,etc ?
They are filling the screen without stretching the movie.
me no understand !grr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 pm 

The upconversion fills the screen, but the resolution/clarity/sharpness isn't improved to anything near 1080i like they advertise.

Also, movies have been sold in 16:9 format for a while now that will fit a widescreen TV. Even my Poltergeist CD has a 16:9 ratio side on it and that's movie is almost 20 years old. That ratio doesn't mean it's HD. HD just happens to be at that ratio or something close to it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]