It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Why to build the OS on a seperate drive!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:44 pm 

Why to build the OS on a seperate drive:

Hard drives die. Its a simple fact. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

This morning I was working along and then the computer would freeze up for a half minute, come back and give me an error about "unable to write to " something, etc, blah. This was followed by clicking sounds. Yup. Hard disk failure. Was able to actually get it to pull up the task manager before some bluescreen. Reboot and no bootable hard drive found. Open the case, unplug and plug but nothing. Its a clickety-clicking goner.

SO ANYWAY the point of this story is the OS is on its own 18G drive and besides a couple of applications, thats all that is there. So instead of the feeling of doom/despair at potentially having lost data, I shrugged my shoulders and went off to work. Its old slow U160 scsi stuff. (I'm beside myself watching me call U160 scsi "slow". heh) All my data, games, etc are on seperate physical drives. So I'll drop another drive in it tonight, drink some beer and build another OS and reinstall a couple apps that had some components live on the C: and be back in business with all the data/games intact.

Secondary point of the story: don't rely upon any one drive for any data you want to keep. Always have a copy/backup somewhere else. Computer component failures don't have to be devastating events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 pm 

Right on!

I keep all my important "shtuff" on D: one import folder is a backup of C: I use an evaluation copy of GRBackup pro. It recreates the entire file structure as zip files. It's a really old program so I'm sure there are other apps out there that do this but it's the first one I used and never paid for it so i feel some loyalty there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:38 pm 

I use something called "secondcopy" it was $30 and it syncs the folders out to a network share. Its been flawless for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 am 

You two certainly have the "right stuff" going on.

I have been relying on this method for years also, after I got burned a couple of times.

It is certainly worth the small amount of money for a second drive to avoid a disaster.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:51 am 

So true, I have had the OS on a seperate drive for years. It took only one time to burn me. Solid advice Hex!!!!

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me, so throw me down, tie me up and show me how much u like me......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:30 pm 

It's good advice, but in the end a HD failure will usually mean reinstalling everything anyway.

If the HD fails on the drives with the apps then of course you'll be reinstalling those apps. Even if it is the OS drive that fails, you'll still be reinstalling a lot of those apps since most of them require registry entries that are now gone. Particularly when updateing them.

My setup is on one drive atm. I keep a blank DVD in the drive and just do regular backups to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:38 pm 

the normal windows problems... lol
try a linux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:43 pm 

Wow. Linux prevents HD failures too?! I'm switching :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 pm 

LOL :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]