It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Weird internet problems..
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:48 pm 

For the past few days, i lose connection on my DSL for no appearant reason. All the appropriate lights on my modem are on. The first few times, resetting the computer worked. When that stopped working, I opened my internet connections, disabled my local area connection, then re-enabled it, which worked a couple times, but now does not. I also rolled back the drivers for my connection ports, which has worked so far, but I still lose connection occasionally.

I cant figure out if this is a problem with my hardware, drivers, or with Bellsouth. Can anyone recommend a way to diagnose this? Any suggestions on what it might be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:18 pm 

When it happens before you "repair" it see if you still have an IP address...

D:\>IPCONFIG /ALL

...if you do try to ping that same address, if you get replies try to ping the gateway address, if that works it's your ISP.

If you don't have an IP address from the first step or you don't get replies I would look at your local machine. ping the local loop back...

D:\>PING 127.0.0.1

...see if you get replies, if you don't update the drivers on your NIC also make sure you don't have some low power ACPI power save features for the NIC maybe in the BIOS.

I wish I had more to go on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:51 pm 

Does it get stuck at renewing ip address? Mine did this awhile back and i used this to fix it.

http://www.hometownohio.com/faq/files/WinsockXPFix.exe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:27 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

Keen - I run ipconfig and still have an ip and all that. However when I ping 127.0.0.1, it tells me destination host is unreachable. So it seems like a system thing...

A couple background notes:

-I just built this PC about 2 weeks ago.

-I installed an ethernet card to initially connect to the internet to DL drivers for my on-board ethernet.

-I am now using on-board ethernet

-When I am in a game and this happens, I start to lag, and it gets worse for about 30 secs, then finally I get disconnected. I can see people running around in what looks like a non-lagged speed, and the console is updating regularly - I just cant move or do a thing.

Could this be because I don't have enough power? I have like 5 fans in there, and a bunch of other stuff plugged in. My Power supply is 500w, so I think this should easily cover all of my hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated!

n3wd - i tried that, it didnt work :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

hrm, why did you need to go online to get your onboard network drivers? They should have come bundled on your motherboard driver cd!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:57 pm 

The drivers were on a DVD and I didnt have a DVD drive.. and I didnt feel like waiting until I got one to frag on my new toy :P

My other option is to plug in the old ethernet card (which I never had a problem with) and play via that.. however, I would have to take out my sound card. And I cant play with the onboard sound card due to some windows audio problem. So I am just screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

What motherboard do you have?

Anyway, try the old network card and see if you have problems, then you'll know for sure if it's your onboard nic. Then, at that point you can figure out if you need to either fix the onboard network or figure out the onboard audio drivers??!!

Have you tried contacting your ISP to see if it might be on their end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:57 am 

You might want to hit up broadbandreports.com. They have a bunch of tools to test line quality, pings, etc.

Been having a fair amount of issues myself with my DSL, but I'm in P.A., so probably just a coincidence.

You can try pinging the DSL router if it has an IP when you lose connection. If you can do that, it's probably not your ethernet card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:07 am 

I'm pretty sure its not my ISP, since this whole mess started when I got my new PC. I wish it was my ISP, so I could verbally abuse some peon, threaten cancellation and feel like a big man, but I fear its something with my PC.

I will see if everything works OK with the other card. If it is, I will make some efforts to figure out my sound card issues. The sound card drivers will not install, it says 'missing somethingorother.dll - unable to install' when I try to run them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:54 pm 

With this new information here is what I would do...

1. Now that you have the driver downloaded, uninstall the on board NIC in device manager.

2. Put the add on NIC back in boot Windows and remove it from device manager

3. Open Network Neighborhood and delete all network connections.

4. Shut down remove the add on NIC.

5. Boot up and if it doesn't plug and play install the on board NIC driver again.

6. If windows doesn't automagically create a new network connection use the wizard to create one.

I think what has happened is when you removed the NIC and installed the new one without first deleting the network settings, your network settings may have become confused about what NIC they are using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:30 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Make sure you disable the nVidia firewall and associtated crap I found when I used a 680i board that these would mess around with stuff...

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:26 pm 

Sounds like your built in ethernet is flakey for some reason.

Try your add in nic (as others have suggested) and if that works fine, find out the model and make of your built in nic and download the latest drivers for it, then try reinstalling it.

What is the make and model of your motherboard? Knowing that will help us resolve your issues with ethernet and sound.

good luck, jim :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 pm 

Okay, I followed Keen's advice and everything *seems* fine, but since it was so erratic (it would work for hours, then cut out) - im not really sure. I will post back if I have a problem.

I also uninstalled NVidia network access manager as per rroff's advice.

rhogue I have a ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard. You can view all my system stuff here: http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wis ... er=6540688

I think (read: hope) I have this all figured out. But again, I will post back if I dont.

Thanks a lot for all the help. It is very much appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:27 am 

Cool! good to hear it bro.

Keep us up to date. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:31 pm 

Unfortunately, this has not cleared up :X

I'm going to make an effort to fix my sound card and just plug in my my other ethernet card this evening.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next