It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Buying a new system soon...
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:39 pm 

And I need some advice from more experienced people.

First I have never built my own system before. I have installed components (Drives, Cards, etc) - but never actually built anything from the ground up. How challenging is this? I dont want to pay someone else to built my system, but I would rather do that then get a pile of components that I can't put together. I am also concerned about getting hardware that doesnt 'fit'.

Here is my current system:
Quote:
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Memory:
512MB RAM
Hard Drive:
40 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Monitor:
Dell P990
Sound Card:
SB Live! Wave Device
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Im going to re-use my monitor, KB, Mouse, and possibly cdr drive, but everything else is pretty much an antique. Are there any other components that I could possibly salvage?

Here is what I am looking at purchasing (all from newegg.com):
Quote:
ORION Pro Series 18" 180 and 90-Degree-Angled, SATA (SERIAL ATA 150) Cable, 2-Head Model 700-201-05
$3.49

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$67.99

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOC2E GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
$409.99

AMD Athlon 64 FX-72 Windsor 2.8GHz Socket F (1207 FX) DSDC Architecture Processor Model ADAFX72DIBOX
$305.00

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
$111.99

ZALMAN ZM - F3 120mm Case Fan
$9.99

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
$47.99

* COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-650-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 650W Power Supply
* COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$134.98

* CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
* GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
$278.99

Subtotal: $1,370.41

Does this look OK? Is there anything else I need? Is any of this stuff sub-standard? Anything that I am overpaying for? I know its not all top of the line, but cost is a concern.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CPU and motherboard won't work together...

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Here is what I'd advise buying right now...

CPU: (Overclocks to 3gig safely with no need to increase voltage when paired with a cooler similiar to below)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115003

HEATSINK: (replace the stock cooler on the E6600 with this as its much more capable and safely lets you overclock to 3gig)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186134

RAM: (reason I choose these - as people normally call them gimmicky - they will run in the motherboard I choose with minimum fuss even with overclocking without the end user having to mess around or dig into too much tech stuff)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227198

MOTHERBOARD: (After playing around with several performance boards from DFI, gigabyte and abit I was pleasantly suprised by how trouble free and forgiving this board is, not to mention the features and performance)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131073

Good choice on the graphics hardware - but you can prolly find a model for slightly less than $400 - try to stick with the 640Mb versions of the GTS tho.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I highly reccomend those seagate 7200.10 drives - specially if you RAID them... one little tip tho - most models have a jumper beside the SATA port on each drive that isn't mentioned anywhere (this is not the master/slave selector) - when removed it forces Generation II SATA performance and you will see a significant boost to HDD performance... not sure why that info is so hidden away by seagate.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oh and building the stuff ain't that hard - but I reccomend you keep a working system along side it so you can get help :D

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:55 pm 

Awesome, thanks for the help - it's much appreciated.. Glad I asked, that whole CPU/mobo thing would have killed me. I have no idea of how to check for things like that, which makes me very anxious.

Ill re-arrange everything with the parts you suggested and see if its within my budget (wife wants new bedroom furniture, so I have to pull in my reigns a bit).

And yeah, my current system isn't going anywhere during the upgrade process :P The only problem will be switching the parts im harvesting from this one between the two, but since its just a monitor, mouse, kb, I dont anticipate that being a big issue.

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You might want to research the RAM before actually buying/choosing while I've had no problems with it myself DDR2 RAM and performance motherboards can be quite picky and there may be issues I'm not aware of - but my own experience was very good.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:48 pm 

As usual, what Rroff said. :D

I recently put together a similar system. Instead of the e6600, I went with the e6400, a 2.13 ghz part. This overclocks to 3.2ghz with a voltage bump of .05 volts.

The BFG 8800 GTS is what I have, and its great. Very fast and quiet too.

Two gigs of ram is the sweet spot these days.

This combo ran the Doom3 timedemo @ 1280x1024, Ultra Quality (no vert sync or AA) at 169 fps. wow

If you've never assembled a complete system, get the help of a friend who has. I find the trickiest part is installing the cpu heatsink and fan on the motherboard (best done outside of the case with today's monster coolers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:31 pm 

I would shy away from the BFG card. Their warranty is a freakin lie! They'll tell you anything else is wrong with your system other than the video card. They said the PSU was the problem in my case and I'm on my 3r PSU going bigger and bigger each time, I'm up to 640WAT now and still get lockups in DOOM3, Quake4, and FarCry.

Personally I'll never buy BFG again. I also can not rule out the integrated soundblaster so won't be buying those anymore either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm 

Very sorry to hear that, keen. The one time I had to do an RMA with them they gave me no trouble and I had my new card within a week. This was several years ago however.

Based on that experience I've purchased several more of their cards. eVGA and XFX are good alternatives I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:25 am 

Same here....I had my BFG card go out,and they replaced it free and no questions asked. On a 2 year old card,I thought that was pretty good.

I am getting ready for a new build myself.

[color=#0000BF][font=][size=150]~Retired~[/size][/font][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:20 pm 

Okay, I made the following upgrades based on Rroff's suggestions:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wis ... er=6540688
(link works now)

This is my current wishlist. Will all these parts function together? Is there anything else I need that I am forgetting (not counting monitor, kb, mouse, cd drive)?

This is probably a nub question, but why am I seeing other intel chips that are 3.2 ghz and higher for so much cheaper than this one? Im guessing the 'duo' has something to do with this? My current PC is 1.8ghz, and I just want to be sure that this is a significant step up.

And maybe someone can point me in the direction of a simple overclocking tutorial?

Thanks for all the help so far. I might just order this bad boy next paycheck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 pm 

The Core 2 Duo is the best processor out there for the money at the moment. You may be looking at Quad core versions of the same processor or 'extreme' versions of the same cpu. The latter has twice the L2 cache per processor (2mb i think?).

If you plan to overclock, consider the less expensive e6400 at 2.13 ghz. Simply raising the cpu fsb to 1600 and setting the memory at linked and synched will get you 3.2ghz on air without overclocking your ram. This is the easisiest and most dependable way to overclock with the 680i sli chipset.

This is from eVGA but all 680i motherboards are based on a reference design from foxconn, so the procedure should be similar with the Asus board.

http://www.evga.com/community/messagebo ... C_ID=25883

The procedure outlined in the link worked great for me. Pretty painless too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:36 pm 

Cool, thanks for the link. It seems like its dumbed down enough that I shouldnt have a problem :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:36 pm 

If I were you I wouldnt spend so much on a videocard. Just by one for around 100 dollar, those have the best performance for the money. Be sure to buy a directx 10 card, wait a few weeks for the Ati 2600xt cards for example.
400 dollar for a videocard is absurd IMO. In two and a half years it's worth 60.
Mobo is and proc are pretty expensive too, you can save another 200 on them.

Settle for Medium graphics (believe me, the exitement of graphics fade rapdidly) Save money on your pc and spend it on things that are really worth it, and will LAST. For instance buy a nice flat panel and a good 5.1 system.

Also a good thing would be to wait for a game you really want to play (that you actually have tested), and by a pc that can handle it on med to high. Look for benchmarks on that game.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next