It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

yah, I ended up just deleting the brush and extending the one next to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:11 am 

I Like it!!!! Brings back alot of memories. Great Job Boss :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:50 am 

OK, well (showing some naivete') I was on a crappy phone connection for the Q2 era so I dont have days of gameplay on the original to compare this work to. Nor do I make any claim to think original item placement is always the best if you're doing a remake.

The layout seems solid, the major construction is good, its well on the way to being a good playable map. Weapon spot markers would be nice. More equitable ammo distribution might make sense.

The item placement events with double health bubbles, and double SG shells, double MG bullets raised my eyebrows a bit. I didn't like the RL placement either, agreeing that if it were a second RL that might be OK. I'd maybe put the quad damage back there if the lava room were a little bit longer maybe. The long ramp that becomes a door down to the quad - once activated does it just flap open/closed repeatedly on purpose? Then maybe put the MH down there instead of the quad.

The outside areas, as compared to the inside are well lit enough to see the other players. Maybe it is too bright on the outside, but it was refreshing compared to the inside areas where it seems too dark. I understand atmosphere, but if you can't see whos shooting at you, its no fun. (I run at gamma 2 and still thought it was dark) Some of the ramps seem quite steep, so much so that you can't see up there, when in q3 maps you (usually) can at least see what you're running up into.

I'd fix the dmg value of all the lava to be 666 so you gib instantly. :) No point in keeping the player alive through a game cycle or two really...

Those cliched early oft-used gimmicks (duh, its a q2 map remake) - I'm not a fan if said gimmicks impede gameplay. I'd set the three lowering plats to not pause at the bottom for so long. Then maybe some goodies around the ledges in that room would be cool. The spot where you have to jump up the blocks to get up to the LG, thats an awful lot of work in the midst of a deathmatch.

I'd make the plat speed by the RA faster. Also make it go all the way up so you don't have to jump off it. I'd swap the YA and the RG there by the rotating cylinder and put the GL at some other overlooking place. And then make another exit from that room where the YA/GL is now. shrug, just because.

So, like I said, I'm not claiming any allegience to the original, maybe my ideas are blasphemous to those in the know, but good bands don't cover a song so they can make it exactly the same as the original artist did. As a mapper I can only speak what I think. :)

Good work, lets playtest this sucker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

BETA 2 Released - [link=http://www.burial-grounds.com/quakewars/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?8625]CLICK HERE!!![/link]

#

#

Beta 2 should be out tonight...hopefully some of the issues you mentioned have been addressed....I'll post back soon.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2