It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: [final] Lhabia (q4req2)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:40 am 

Howdy folks!

This is FINAL version, but I'm planning to re-release this map (after competition) because of few things I've done in hurry and I dont like them :] The map may also contains some bugs.

The map has included .aas file for bots. I'm waiting for itemplacement and gameplay comments!

>> final changelog:
- textures
- lightning
- portals
- spawnpoints
- visual stuff

>> beta2 changelog:
- I've changed almost everything.
- The MH room is much bigger now.
- Added new rooms with LG, RA/RL, YA.
- Removed few hallways, so the map is more "open" at this time.
- Added second RL, removed RG
- Now you can play with some new layout, but still with temporary textures
- More than two simple spawnpoints
- The map has a name :D

DOWNLOAD map-q4req2 FINAL :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:06 pm 

Very strong layout, I like it a alot. It feels very well balanced.

Some of the dimensions seem a little big, hallway width in particular. Of course this is a matter of personal taste, so it isnt necesarilly a problem. I just felt that overall the map is pretty open. Again, not a bad thing, just something to think about.

Some of your ramps are pretty steep, like the one approaching mega, and the one approaching the upper RL. This tends to slow down movement and interfere with momentum. Maybe lower the angle on these ramps? The angled brushes that you trick jump to get to mega, rl, some other areas, are also a tad steep imo.

Item placement is strong in general. Ill run around it a little more after lunch and try to give some more feedback in that particular area.

Overall, I really like the map, the flow is great and feels very balanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:07 pm 

StormShadow,
thanks for interest.

Quote:
Some of the dimensions seem a little big, hallway width in particular.

I have the same feeling about it and I think about narrowing this hallways a little.

Quote:
Some of your ramps are pretty steep, like the one approaching mega, and the one approaching the upper RL.

Yes, i have to fix it :)

By the way, what do you think about implementing a TDM into this map? I've got some suggestions for TMD mode, for example: replace the MH with Quad or add Quad on lower level (nearby HB) ? I'm talking about itemplacement only, no layout changes. Is is a good idea making tourney/tdm map ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:35 pm 

Very few maps work as both TDM and tourney (pro-q3dm6 is the only one that comes to mind atm).

I dont know a great deal about TDM, so I can only speculate whether or not this map is big enough. Its certainly big enough for 2v2. But with 4v4, you will have 8 players in the map, and im not sure if the map is big enough for it. The best way to find out is to test with some bots (or people!), and see if it feels too crowded.

If you do make it a TDM, I would reccomend putting the quad in more accessible area, like the bottom floor of the main room, so its very difficult for either team to control. You want big fights over the quad, and you wont really get that if its all the way at the top, in an area with only 2 good approaches.

You would probably want to put a railgun where mega is, and have only one route to it so its harder to get. You could remove the trickjump route - or make the jump more difficult. This would require only a minor layout change that would not require you to have 2 map files. You could make that ramp that you trick up to mega with a func_static and have it only spawn in tourney mode for example.

Overall, I think the map would make a great 2v2 with the addition of mega and a rail, but you would really need to do some serious testing to be able to tell if 4v4 would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 pm 

Damn, I havent much time and I've released this Final version in hurry (for fragarcade contest).

Copy/paste from fragarcade topic: This is FINAL version, but I'm planning to re-release this map (after competition) because of few things I've done in hurry and I dont like them :] The map may also contains some bugs.

>> final changelog:
- textures
- lightning
- portals
- spawnpoints
- visual stuff

DOWNLOAD map-q4req2 FINAL :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:46 pm 

Looks great, gj on texturing it so quickly :)

I think i dled this with the rest of the pack, which I will be checking out later today, preferably on the server with human opponents :)

BTW, anyone who wants to play this map, mine, and the other contest maps can dl the pack here:
http://64.34.178.176/q4maps/FragArcade_ ... p_Pack.zip

And hop onto this q4 1.1 server and play:
64.34.178.176:28004

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]