It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Doom3 Single Player Map Beta 1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:02 am 

Beta1 for the first map of a 3 map pak. I'll post some new screenies when I have a chance. The older screenies are still here: http://jfink.net.h.m6.net/wip.html

I was gonna PM everyone that volunteered, but I'm not sure everyones signed up here or not. So a d/l link for the first beta.

http://jfink.net.h.m6.net/betas/finkosp1_beta1.zip

PLOT:
There's been an unexplained amount of alien/demon activity at facility (xyz) and you're the lucky marine that gets to go in and investigate. The map we're testing here is the first map in this pack and lays the ground work for getting in the map.

OBJECTIVES:
You'll need to power up a power substation.
Fly underground to a second substation where you'll initiate the opening of some rather large tunnel doors that lead to the entrance of facility (xyz).
Fight your way to the entrance and once in, that is where this map ends and the next map would begin.

GENERAL FYI:
-I think this will take 15-20 minutes to play through.
-You start the game with a shotgun and machine gun.
-There is a security locker in the second area of combat (underground). The code is 326. This is mentioned in an email in a PDA that is picked up shortly before.
-There are no skill levels set up. The end area is by far the hardest, but beatable if you play it smart. It's a good idea to save after every ship landing.
-The emails that are in the PDA's just have place-holder text mostly.

TODO:
I'd like to add come vocal / audio queues for some of the cinematic events.
Create Emails in the PDA's.
Add some lift off and landing sounds to the ship.
There's a ton of tiny improvements that will be made, but nothing game breaking for the beta.
Improve the lighting in the final area. It's pretty dark right now.

KNOWN ISSUES:
-On my machine, the game hitches for a moment when loading Lost Souls and Caecodemons for some reason. It doesn't do this with any other monsters.
-The GUI's look horrible in some cases. They're only temporary :)

I'm looking for anything you care to comment on really. Specifically, I'm looking for problems with FPS, lighting (too dark, too light), running out of ammo or not enough health around. Difficult to understand objectives or if 'how to complete the objectives' isn't obvious enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:06 pm 

Downloaded! I hope I'll find the time to give some useful feedback ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:04 pm 

If I ever get DOOM3 running again I'll DL it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:16 am 

Hey Finko, Downloaded and will load up and give it a go. I hope I can post you some usefully feedback about it. :D Looking forward to it!

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me, so throw me down, tie me up and show me how much u like me......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:31 am 

Thanks guys. It'll be nice to get some fresh eyes on this. I've probably played it a million times just tweaking/testing, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:32 am 

Commander Keen wrote:
If I ever get DOOM3 running again I'll DL it. :(

Seriously..don't make me fly to Texas to get this done. It's just way too damn hot down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:52 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:55ff77509c]Ok.. I got killed after going over the bridge once I flew into the base.

The flight throughs are impressive.... my favorite touch is the train... but I saydon't do a cut scene for it... let that sucker scare teh crap out of you and run you over if you try to cross :)

the flight throughs are cool but they need to be a bit faster and the animations refined a bit, I really would like to see more detail on that little ship, at the very least in the back where it just looks flat.

I feel you need a little more ammo and health, the ambushes are rough... the fiend or whatever is called that spawns on top of the ship is cool...also don't spawn the pinky so soon... all you gotta do is back track up the steps and he can't hit you :)

The elevator's GUI needs some work :P

The environments look impressiveand I hope there is more outdoor stuff that looked impressive.

More when i can get past the bridge :P[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:25 pm 

Nice download speed at 1.0M !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:23 am 

I had a short view and I really like what I've seen so far :).

NECROSIS wrote:
...the flight throughs are cool but they need to be a bit faster and the animations refined a bit, I really would like to see more detail on that little ship, at the very least in the back where it just looks flat.

Agreed.. and I missed a better (louder) sound for the flying shuttle.

NECROSIS wrote:
...also don't spawn the pinky so soon... all you gotta do is back track up the steps and he can't hit you :)

Yep, same here ;).

NECROSIS wrote:
...The elevator's GUI needs some work :P

...and you can hear the sound of the moving elevator everytime you hit the up/down key even if the elevator doesn't move because it's up/down already.

Finko wrote:
...KNOWN ISSUES:
-On my machine, the game hitches for a moment when loading Lost Souls and Caecodemons for some reason. It doesn't do this with any other monsters.

The same happens on my machine (AMD Athlon XP 2400+, GeForce FX5900GT, 512 MB RAM, 800x600, Medium texture detail). It feels like everything was frozen for a few seconds. First I thought the game had crashed (because it still showed "normal" - above 30 - FPS) but then I could move again.

...to be continued...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:05 am 

Wow, that was cool!

Not much chance to catch breath sometimes, the baddies just kept coming. Some of those lost souls just smacking upside my head before I even knew where they were. Definitely made me nervous.

ditto for me with the cacodemons, everything slowed down, worse than a usual cacodemon spawn event. not sure why.

Thoughts:

Maybe an ambient light for in the tunnel areas to brighten up (barely) pitch black areas? But then in contrast I thought the beginning outside area was overbright.

When the big doors open , maybe move them slower, with a more "grindy" noise and bigger 'boom' when they stop open?

some screenshots here

Nice job on this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:01 am 

Thanks for all that Hex. Nice stuff :)

147 - there is no audio...I just gotta remove that part from the pda file
163 - I just gotta move him down a bit...there's no clipping error..just bad placement on my part
167 - yah, that area is particularly dark and could use some work. Ambient lighting (making everything not dark) is really tough in D3 though w/o killing fps.
170 - that box shouldn't even be showing. doh! its a trigger...just gotta drop a nodraw texture on it
180 - easy fix...just gotta kick the light over a few units. I think I already tackled this one actually.
182 - I have no idea what the hell is going on there. I'll have to check it out, lol

189 - I'll try to come up with some 'barrier' to block people from going back to far. I need to put a ladder somewhere for people to get back up o the platforms if they manage to fall off w/o dieing as well. This is an interesting one. I was re-playing Call of Duty today and there's a sequence where you are running through trenches. To prevent you from running 'back' at one point...they put nothing there...just a player clip that no one can see. Kinda like an invisible wall. Pretty lazy if you ask me. I'd like to avoid that kind of scenario. Maybe a fence or some kind of forcefield that activates once the plane passes by.

190 - read 182 I dunno..I'll check it out.

191 - read 190. Trites should basically just explode if they can't get to the target from what I've read...so its kinda weird for one to get stuck like that.

I have a theory on the whole flying_monster hitch issue. I'll have to test it out.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]