It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 pm 

I can't imagine Crucial not being supported, what concerns me is the mix-matched modules.

The installation instructions you're referring to may be assuming you're using matched memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:33 pm 

When I boot up with only one stick, I still get the same result, the memory gets reported as 64meg less than the actual physical memory. With either stick. I'm running the latest bios, drivers, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:28 am 

hmm were are you looking when you see this value?

task manager or system properties default tab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:50 am 

Look at the image I posted above. I get there by the 'properties' of the 'My Computer' icon on my desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 am 

Sorry I missed that before. I guess I'm at a loss maybe it doesn't like Crucial but man that seems fugged up if the mother board is that picky.

Can you borrow some RAM from work or some one else just to test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:25 pm 

Are you using onboard video or something else that would take away from the available RAM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:42 pm 

Onboard video, onboard audio, onboard lan. Would using those cause the amount of physical memory to be reported as less than it actually is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:58 pm 

When a mobo has onboard video, a certain amount of the installed ram memory is allocated by the bios to support the graphics memory requirements, since that memory is not included on the mobo for the graphics chip on the board itself. This in effect reduces the available memory shown by the operating system, since the bios tells the operating system not to use it. You can imagine what would happen to your display, if for example the operating system ran out of ram and decided to use the ram that was allocated for the graphics chip - your video memory would be overwritten by the operating system, and your video would crash.
If you are using an add in video card, the card will have its own ram on it, and the onboard graphics chip is unnecessary. It should be turned off in the bios settings, which will free up your ram memory that is being used for this purpose unnecessarily.
In most cases, if you want to use the PC for gaming, onboard video is not powerful enough to run the latest games, so my suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive graphics card that would be compatible with your mobo (some have an AGP slot, some have a PCI Express slot, and some do not have either, in which case you would have to get a board that is compatible with a PCI slot.)
In any case, your documentation that came with the mobo should have instructions to tell you how to add a separate graphics card, and disable the onboard graphics.

In reference to your shutdown problem, Microsoft has issued a bulletin that addresses a problem with Windows shutting down improperly when USB devices are being used, which is your case.
In an earlier post, I had found a possible solution to this problem. I will look for the post and let you know what it is, I can't remember the actual fix at this time.
You might be able to find it on the Microsoft site yourself, if you do a search for the problem. It has to do with USB power issues.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:12 pm 

I found the post.
In helpdesk forum:
Strange problem with Win XP:
posted by skraggy on Nov 14 2005

It has to do with Win XP not shutting down properly.
Check it out, it may help.
Good Luck.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:00 pm 

Thanks, I'll look at that post. I started having the shut-down problem after I plugged in the usb zip drive and a usb hub, so I've unplugged those, and am still having the problem. But who know's, maybe that thread will help.

As far as the memory thing, I've installed/uninstalled a few graphics cards, so I'm familiar with that process. I just wasn't aware that it would cause the system to report less physical memory. Thanks for that info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:15 am 

Can you clarify that last post?

what I was getting at, is that if you have a separate graphics card plugged into your mobo, you should NOT be getting the lower memory reading.

However, if your mobo has onboard video (meaning that the graphics chip is part of the mobo itself), the bios will take some of your memory to run the graphics.

How is your system configured?

If you have a separate graphics card plugged into a slot on your mobo, and the mobo also has onboard graphics, you should turn the onboard graphics off in the bios settings. that will free up the missing memory.

If you do not have a separate graphics card plugged into a slot on your mobo, and you disable the onboard graphics, you will probably not get any video at all, and you might have to reset the bios to clear the problem.

However, there were some graphics cards produced for a short period of time, that did require using some system ram to operate. The manufacturers of these cards made use of the system memory to reduce the cost of the boards.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:21 pm 

No add in cards. Onboard video, onboard audio, and onboard LAN. They all appear to be working correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:15 pm 

Ok then, mystery solved. The onboard graphics chip is using 64 MB of your systen ram that will not be reported to Windows.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:33 am 

Yeah, after your last post I figured it was the onboard graphics chip, thanks for the info.

I'm still having the 'non-shut-down' error. I tried setting the usb hubs to not shut down usb devices, same error. I looked at the event viewer, and found a few warnings and errors that kept occuring, I deleted a couple of unneeded programs that were generating errors, but I'm still getting the boot issue. I've got a few more errors in the event viewer to look into, but I'm not holding out hope. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:36 pm 

As a quick note, you can usually change how much memory is allocated to onboard video in your system BIOS. If your current settings reflect anything other than 64MB allocated, then something is awry.

As stated in previous posts, you should indeed disable onboard video if/when you upgrade to an add-in card. However, try to avoid cards that advertise "TurboCache" - this is just a fancy marketing term for hijacking your (slower) system memory as a substitute for (faster) video memory.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2