It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: I hate computers... HELP!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:08 pm 

Hello to everyone from the distant past! Yes, it's 40. :) I don't play quake anymore, but still use the computer everyday, for other stuff. And now, it won't work. I'm on my kids computer right now, so I can post from there.

Anyway, here's the problem. About 2 weeks ago, my computer decided to not turn on. Pushed the power button, I could see the fans 'twitch', but nothing. I tried plugging and unplugging everything, same result. Different outlets, same thing. So, I go out and buy an Antec 350 watt PS, install it, and everything is fine. Then about a week ago, my hard drive decides to bail on me. Couldn't read or write from/to it, couldn't format, etc. So, I go an buy a new hard drive, install it, and everything is fine. Until this morning. Now it won't power up again. Push the power button, the fans twitch again, but nothing, no power. I guess it could be the new power supply gone bad already, but that doesn't seem likely. Anyone have any idea's as to what's going on?

I'm pissed, and I need help! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:40 pm 

Personally, If I were you, I'd stay AWAY from my computer :p Talk about a string of bad luck :D

But seriously, i'd hope it was the PS again. Probably one of the cheapest things to replace. It's very possible the new one died. It wouldn't shock me at all. Some manufacturers just put out some really garbage power supplies.

The one on my mom's PC just died as well. When shopping on newegg to replace it, there were negative reviews all over the place where power supplies were dead within a week.

I'm kind of surprised you don't have one laying around to test it out, being a PC geek and all ;)

EDIT: I'm not sure what your system specs are, but 350 seems a bit low for today's hardware. I'd think 450 would be the minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:43 pm 

Computers are impossible to stay away from, you know that! ~:(

Anyway, I could take apart my kids PC and use that PS to test it with, that's what I did last time. And I probably already tossed the receipt for the new one. Not just a geek, but a STUPID geek! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:47 pm 

Happy New Year Kevin!

Sounds like you got a power supply issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:55 pm 

Happy new year to you, too, Vern! Hope things are going well for ya! And sure does sound like another bad PS, eh? And I thought Antec was a decent brand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:03 pm 

Either P.S.U. or some thing in your system is shorted and loading the system down hence the little bump of the fans trying to spin, but I didn't mention it because the odds are it's not that.

To eliminate that possibility I would disconnect things in turn and see if the thing will ever power up. Remembering to always have the motherboard and at least one other thing plugged in. Never run a P.S.U. without a load.

Antec is a good brand of P.S.U. but maybe you have brownouts and sags in your area, or lots of thunder storms? I dunno? Maybe get a U.P.S. to put between your machine and the city's power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:07 am 

Bwuahahahaha! I can't win! I take back the 'new-old' PS, they take it back without a receipt. Get a new one. Bring it home, screw it in the case, and go to connect it to the MB, doesn't fit!! My mb needs a 20 pin connector. The new PS I got today has a 20-24 pin connector, so, it should fit, right? Not when there's a do-hicky right next to the plug on the MB so the 24-pin long connector won't fit!!!

So, it's back to the store, hopefully tomorrow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:21 pm 

My computer died too over the Xmas season.. installed a gig of RAM and POOF! Nothing but a fan twitch like you said.. it was the mainboard. Bought a new one at CompUSA for $80.. Gigabyte brand.. for my AMD 64 3400 CPU.. worked! Was back in the game in just 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm 

How did you determine it wsa the main board? Trial and error?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:34 am 

Yep. Just slowly removed everything. When you have just your mainboard/CPU/fan and power supply (with power switch still connected)... you should at least get the CPU fan going... and some crazy beeps (no vid, ram) from the speaker (have that hooked up too)

Mine was dead. Could have been the power supply, but I ran that in first to a local CompUSA and they tested it free.. just took a minute.. so I knew that was good.

Even with a blown CPU the mainboard should power on and beep errors I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:04 pm 

My bro had a very similar problem...blew 2 power supplies,and it ended up being the video card trying to pull too much or shorted.Luckily,I had an extra VC and PS,we replaced both at the same time,and that took care of it.

Also,you mentioned that you replaced your PS with a 350w,is that enough for what you are running?

[color=#0000BF][font=][size=150]~Retired~[/size][/font][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:21 pm 

<~~~~~~ is gonna kill this thread too !2f

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]