It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: + Vs -
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 pm 

We bought a Lightscribe DVD Burner....I realized there were DVD+R and DVD-R media(along with +RW and -RW) but never really looked into the differences. Today I did some checking up on-line and everything I'm reading seems to lead to "Not much difference" or "It's the next VHS VS Beta".

Does anyone know of any real differences I should know about? (The only thing I see right now is price - The + are about 13.99 for 5 and the - are 5.99 for 5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:43 pm 

I read a good explanation of both at Tom's hardware. dig around over there and see if you can find that article.

http://www.tomshardware.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:59 pm 

Quote:
However, our results show that the movies written to DVD+R by the burners were not readable for every DVD player - whereas the DVD-Rs were. Another small but significant difference is the capacity of DVD+R discs, which is 8 MB smaller, barring the possibility of directly copying a full-to-the-brim DVD-R.

The rising number of drives available gave us a good excuse to conduct this massive round-up for the first time. After all, as we know, there are not only stars and starlets out there - there is the occasional black sheep as well.

Overall, 11 drives made it into the lab for testing, among them two external devices from HP and Sony. From U.S.-based NU Technologies we received an 8x burner. Despite numerous requests, Plextor has to date not sent a test device - which is too bad, because in the area of CDs, this manufacturer has always had a good reputation.

So it sounds like - is better but the industry has adopted +.

However most drives will support both types right now. The question is what format your household DVD player will read and other DVD read only drives will read. Just like when CD-R was new most ROM's couldn't read disk from certain burners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:43 pm 

Thanks, that was actually a lot of help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:a483a9a934]yup, definitely get one that supports both...which most do now.[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:47 pm 

dmschaos wrote:
[color=#aaddff:fbcc507bc4]yup, definitely get one that supports both...which most do now.[/color]

I agree. For more information you might want to read this:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/DVDMediaFormats/

Quote:
CDR-Info, has determined that DVD-R is clearly the most compatible DVD recording format on the market. To assess the compatibility level of DVD Formats we created video content on a DVD writer using DVD-R/RW and +R/RW media. These discs were then played back in other DVD players and DVD-ROM drives – over a 1,000 combinations of drive, media and player were tested.

The content created on a DVD-R/RW writer using a write once DVD-R disc played back in virtually all (96.1 percent) of the DVD players and DVD-ROM drives used in the research. DVD+R discs played back in 87.6 percent of the devices tested.

Since the market for recording to DVD has developed, and different formats have emerged, consumers have been concerned about the compatibility of their DVD recording devices with DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. The findings suggest that for customers who wish to create content on a DVD writer and interchange this with other PC drives and consumer DVD players, DVD-R is the clear format of choice.

Bottom line... as ch@os suggested, but a drive that supports both formats, and you are covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:44 am 

I agree that DVD-R / DVD-RW, are the most compatible. I found this out the hard way when I purchased a DVD+ drive, and found out that the disks it produced would not work in three PC's that I had built with Toshiba DVD readers.

As for the price of the disks, try NewEgg.com, they have them for around thirty or forty cents apiece when you buy in bulk (usually 50 or 100).

I have used their DVD-R disks and have had no compatibility problems or any problems with errors in writing to them.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]