It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: How to protect your home network
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:22 pm 

This was pulled from MSNBC.

[color=#aaddff:8fb78cd4aa]"Four basic steps
Protecting your home wireless network is a good news/bad news story. First, the bad news. Most experts will tell you that there’s practically no way to make it completely safe from prying eyes. Every encryption standard eventually gets cracked. But the good news is almost all wireless devices now sold come with a new, improved standard that's much stronger than previous wireless devices, called WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access)."

"Still, it's useless if you don't turn it on. And for some reason, wireless manufacturers continue to insist on shipping wireless devices with the security turned off. That's asking for trouble. But on the flip side, installation wizards are making it ever easier to turn on security measures."

"The industry is really working on make it easier to set up. There are a lot of one-button wizards, for example," Hanzlick said. Still, every device is different, and consumers still seem confused about wireless safety — evidenced by the number of insecure networks that are around. "There are great solutions, but they are still not enough."

"To make sure everyone's on the same page, here's a handy checklist of four steps that home wireless users can take to greatly reduce the likelihood that someone will snoop your data."

1. "Don't call attention to yourself
Each wireless device has a name, called a Service Set Identifier, or SSID. Any device that tries to hop onto the wireless party line must know this name. By default, most networks broadcast this name to make connecting easier — the equivalent of saying to the world “here’s my front door, it’s probably open if you want to try it.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:51 pm 

Great post OW! I've seen similar ones, but not as well put as that. I have someone in my neighborhood broadcasting their SSID, which BTW is the default "LINKSYS" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:02 am 

Every where we go, with the wireless laptop I bought for my wife for her birthday, I see unprotected networks. When I connected my D-Link wireless router on to my cable modem for the first time, within minutes, somebody was connecting to it. Thanks for the information on how to keep it secure. I had not thought about limiting it to specific mac addresses. That is a really good idea.
Here's another good way to keep people out of the router - since I have all wired connections except the wireless for the laptop, I just go into the router and turn wireless off when we aren't using it. They sure can't connect to it then!

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:08 am 

Almost all of my neighbors broadcast their SSID, with a few of them being "LINKSYS". There are a couple that I can connect to :)

I don't broadcast my SSID, and you'd have to pretty lucky to guess it. Actually, I do change it every now and then.

Additionally, I do use the MAC address filtering. Only my laptop and my wife's laptop are on the list.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]