It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking For System Upgrade Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:45 am 

I am putting a call out to all of my BG geeks!!! My old XP2500 just does not cut it anymore. I have saved up the funds to build a nice, fast gaming machine. I am looking for your recommendations to do it up right. I purchased a new Zalman GT1000 case, so now I need to fill it up :D You guys got any ideas to help me out?

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me, so throw me down, tie me up and show me how much u like me......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:08 pm 

I'm not a system building genious, but I think the Nvidia 8800 GT is the best bang for your buck right now for video cards.

Not many on the market yet, but some come with a freet ETQW ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rce+8800GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 pm 

September 2007 Maximum PC magazine Dream Machine:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Quad Core Processor

EVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo

2 XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX Edition video cards

2GB Corsair Dominator 10,000 memory

4 Hitachi 7K 1000 hard drives

Hybrid Swiftech/Danger Den Water Kit

Cooler Master Cosmos case

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fatal1ty sound card

2 Dell 2707WFP monitors

LG Super Muti Blue optical drive

Asus DRW-1814BLT optical drive

Keytronic 104-key Classic keyboard

Logitech G5 v2 mouse

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad power supply

Creative GigaWorks S750 speakers

Dual Boot Win XP pro / Win Vista Ultimate

Total price as of Sept 07, 11,595 dollars.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 pm 

Try this link. It's another board I visit. Bunch of old school guys that I've game with for many years now. They know their stuff.

http://www.gangstaboogy.com/plugins/for ... c.php?4382

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:42 pm 

Thanks Finko for the link, makes for some good reading :) Spyder, as much as I would like to spend the kids college funds, 11 grand is a bit much LOL. I really like what is being said about the 8800gt series cards and that looks like the one I am going with, but should I do SLI? The next question I have is to go with Intel or AMD. I have had AMD for years, but it seems like Intel is the way to go. Any input on that issue?

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me, so throw me down, tie me up and show me how much u like me......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:31 am 

If you stick with AMD I have heard these bad boys are the shit!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103191

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Go intel - there is absolutely no good reason to go with AMD atm...

Q6600 seems to be about par for the course at the moment - decent clock speed and 4 cores - which as few applications really make use of more than 2 cores at the moment gives it a degree of future proofing...

Unless you want SLI I'd consider looking at the P35 motherboards, specially the gigabyte P35 series, if you want SLI support then your really stuck with a 680i based board - from my experiences the P35 boards are much much more stable than any nVidia chipset.

As for RAM it really doesn't make a huge amount of odds on performance any more... if you get a dual core 1066FSB core 2 duo then go for some DDR2-667 stuff - I wouldn't buy performance RAM unless your into serious overclocking... if you get one of the newer quad cores, specially if its a 1333FSB CPU then some DDR2-800 would be more useful.

8800GT is about where its at at the moment, stunning card for the money and will be overkill for everything but crysis (i.e. 150+fps with all settings maxed in etqw) right now and adequate for most titles in the immediate future - tho if you really want to max out crysis 2 of them in SLI would be required for playable performance.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:29 am 

As much as I hate to say this, since I have been using AMD since the 386 and 486 days, it seems that Intel has a big edge right now on performance.

This is not to say that you can't build a decent machine using AMD, it has to do with how long the rig will stay current.

The reason I posted the specs for the Dream Machine, was to give you a starting point to figure out what is "the best", so that you could figure out what substitutions you might want to make to reach your price point.

Obviously, you probably do not need two Dell monitors, four hard drives, two optical disks, water cooling, dual boot with Vista and XP, etc.

But if you look at what is considered the ultimate by the tech heads of the magazine, it at least gives you a starting point to work with to build the best machine for your budget.

As usual, Rroff is right on the money with his advice. I knew he would have some great input for you.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:08 pm 

What would be the best bang for SLI?

I'm looking to buy 2 lower cost PCIE SLI capable nvidia boards that would come in cheaper than a new 8800GT (which I have heard bad about)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:44 pm 

[quote1195422131=Commander Keen]
(which I have heard bad about)
[/quote1195422131]

thats weird, I have only read good things about the 8800gt and how its the best bang for the buck.
The bfg 512mb models are at best buy for 249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:18 am 

Looks like Intel is the way to go. I was kind of waiting for Rroff speak up to get his input. It also looks like the P35 is the way to go, but I was kind of hoping to do SLI, but oh well. I guess the Dell 24" will still look good. The Gygabyte P35 boards are getting solid reviews so that looks like the one I will be doing. I like what you posted Spyder about what an unlimited budget system would look like, so thanks for that. It give one ideas what they think is the best of the best. I need to look at power supplies and some memory and should be ready to get some more stuff. I hope to have it completed before christmas, but with all of the time I am putting into work, it might be tough. Keep any and all input coming, as I will not be getting this done as soon as I had hoped. B) Thanks guys!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Make sure you avoid the P35C boards tho (DDR2 and DDR3) atleast the P35C DS3R (the P35 DS3R is ok) as I've heard some horror stories about them...

Also it helps if you have a stick of value DDR2 stuff that runs say 533MHz on 1.8v at CAS5 as some higher spec RAM won't even boot with most motherboards unless you manually set the voltage higher first... which means you need to boot on the value stuff, set the value in the BIOS, save and shutdown and reboot with the proper RAM in there.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:00 am 

Ok Rroff, Here is what I am looking at;

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128066[/link]

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130306[/link]

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115017[/link]

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145176[/link]

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118019[/link]

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16829102006[/link]

I am going to OC this one too, so i might need better memory and I am not sure if I want to go crossfire with the ATI 3850 cards. So, how does it look so far?
Thanks for the info!!!!!

changed the processor to Q6600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:33 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Personally I would avoid that memory - around thet hardware forums I frequent it has a reputation for struggling to run at rated timings let alone overclock...

The E6850 is a fair trade if you don't wanna go quad but quad core will easily overclock to 3gig without breaking a sweat.

Everything else looks fine.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:07 am 

Thanks for the endless wealth of knowledge Rroff!!!! I have done alot more reading and the Q6600 sure sounds like the processor to go with. Now off for more reading to find a solid memory. You have any recommendation that you like? One more, what about the new 3850 cards from ATI? Is crossfire/SLI worth doing, or should I be set with a single kick ass video card? Thanks for the help Rroff. YOU DA MAN!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next