It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:44 pm 

I remember nothing...haha,jk

Well my first rememberance would be Mr.OzZ beeting my ass in the muppety server,and showing me a few things to improve myself as a player.Then inviting me to the old OCI site to hang out,back in the pinion days.A few months later they elected to make me a clanmate of OCI.I didnt know the ctf maps that we were competing in,so I pretty much sucked at that t at that time.After OCI got out of the competition side of ctf,I was invited to join clan .c2,which was a little disappointing.I thought we were going to be competing,then here to find out,that was not the outlook of the clan...so I sorta lost interest in that clan due to that.

All of the members of OCI took me in as a noob,and would help me in all kinds of ways...and I appreciate that very much.My allegience is still with them.They are like family so to say.

As for BG,I started hanging here shortly after joining OCI.The people here are great,and I have made what I consider quite a few good friends here.Too many to name,but you all know who you are.BG is a family also,and we look out for each other.Whether you are a noob,or a pro,if I see someone badmouthing any of you,I will defend you,which I have a few times in the past.

The BG map packs are totally awesome,some my favorite maps I've played.So my thanx to those of you who created them.As well as the Jax and charon maps...many thanx.

I will be getting q4,but will not be upgrading my machine as of yet(It does need it to run it well).Hopefully when my life gets back in order,I will have the time to game like I used to.

I guess my favorite quest in q3,would be when spectra pissed me off,and we had a match coming up against them.I practiced and coached the team,we were gonna take them down whatever it took...and we did in the first game.EKM was like....WTF.They started with a 2-0 lead,and the game ended up at 4-3 with us on top....a last second cap by none other than the teletubbers.I remember it like it was yesterday.And everyone in the ctf league was wondering how we did it....communication.I was yapping and filling everyone in through the whole game.They changed the map at the last minute on the second map...that we were not prepared for....or we would have taken them down.

I remember speccing a 1v1 game Opix was playing against Tao...and nailed Tao wallhacking numerous times...and made it known.Gotta love hackers HuH ?

I remember the first time I beet my brother Mega 1v1...took me 2 years,but I got it finally.

I still like the ffa games,but since I really got into ctf,that is where you will find me mostly.I wish more BG'rs were into it,it is a blast.

chaos,t3ch,necrosis,BM,rroff,ET,ozz,log,Milo....Thanx for all the great servers and websites you have given us over the years.

see ya's soon......

skraggs

[color=#0000BF][font=][size=150]~Retired~[/size][/font][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:51 pm 

OzZ wrote:

And, please Stormshadow, lets make a jaxdm8_ctf for q4 if we can get a hold of jax (ur da man) and get his permission.

Ive talked to jax and gotten the map file, and permission to remake it (for q3 at least). Im up for making it into a ctf, but seeing as I have little experience making ctf maps, I really would need a lot of feedback, suggestions, and beta testing from some of the more competetive ctf'ers.

Tell you what, Ill open a thread in the level editing forum for suggestions pertaining to layout, flag locations, item and weapon locations etc, sometime soon. As this is a classig BG map, Id love to have a lot of feedback and support from the community.

Okay, threadjacking over :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:003e8beb05]Oh man... I remember finding this community via the short-lived instagib server...

Lots of fun after that with the remaking of the site, the BGMPs, the games with my friends at OCI, the endless ass-whopings from t3ch, beta testing endless numbers of maps... the bgcomp...

Watching this place evolve... friendships made and broken... people leaving and coming back...

Remember playing insta with woody a lot...getting owned by Ozz and somehow feeling that as he strafed jumped away he was laughing maniacally outloud :P

I hope that q4 will bring new blood here and revives the BGMP projects and maybe another competition and that we can have some more crazy times together at the servers.

:twisted:

[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:59 pm 

I was still an HPB (56k modem) when the Q3A betas came out, but
I still loved the custom maps that I was able to get my hands on.

One of the few HPB ONLY sites that also ran custom maps was the
old Anti-Clan FFA arenas, where I picked up on DM'ing from Mikey
and a bunch of other 'regulars'.

I finally got DSL and ran into Mikey elsewheres, and he said to try
out BG for custom maps. I also found a lot of the old HPB Anti-Clan
regulars were hanging at BG as well. The original BG'ers wondered
where these players came from, well... we were hiding at HPB sites,
waiting for our revenge whenever we got DSL (Mikey proved that).

I found the BG site/forums when I decided to check out the home page
of the BG Arena server. And so, I've been hanging at BG off and on
ever since.

You can rob me... beat me... kill me... just don't bore me! (Highway Gunny)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:37 am 

Ah Memories

It seems sooo long ago but really isn't.

I found my way here through my brother (Pappy-R). He showed me the Quake Fu video. I had given up on multiplayer after so many idiots on Q2 servers. But that video was the coolest I had ever seen, and still is. I found the site, then hooked into the server. What a blast, and everyone was so nice to me and my limited skill.

There were the early afternoon games with captain, Trish, Mikey, OzZ etal. The late night, early morning games with B*M, Manalog, munsen, Milo, OzZ, TT, BLOTTO, RI, OW, OpiX, Wiccy, QB, Rroff, SUMO, Blade, Rack, Term, Necro, 20 20, Rare, skraggy, Mega, Magenta, Fel....I could go forever. All cool, and never a flame. Superb. And such good players with patience for a low skilled player. Impressive.

And the help I was given by so many. Mikey gave me his config to use and alter, and gave me hints. captain would spec me to see what I needed to work on. Even, yes, Spectra giving me hints. And OzZ. What can I say. He took me under his wing and tried to make me a decent player. (Sorry it didn’t work out Ma Guru ;) )

And then there was BLOTTO, Wiccy and of course, CaPN JacKal with their binds. I was laughing so hard sometimes I couldn’t shoot straight. So I had to do it too. It made the games that much more fun. (Ya that's right...you can blame them).

Then came the honour of honours. I was asked to join -=OCI=- by OzZ. On my birthday no less. I was floored. What a group. And they even let me play in some matches. Talk about being nervous and thrilled.

Oh…and the Duelers Club. It was Great, while it lasted. Getting my ass kicked 1v1 by JayP, discreet, Joyrock etc. I learned how to listen and be patient. Thanks guys.

And what can be said about the mappers. I felt like I was in the company of celebrities. Jax, Finko, Storm, Quint etc. The maps ,and, especially, the mappacks were unparalleled. And when Trish asked me to beta test a map for her. Humbling.

Just a few of the many memories. Thanks All. There are many more to come!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:29 am 

Man, i just realized that there are gonan be some bad ass customs once the mappers get goin lol

i haven't been this stoked about a game since i first got into q3... yeesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 am 

This was some fun reading. I have a few favorite memories. My favorite Q1 memory.

I had just stated playing and I was getting my ass handed to me quite regular. I was living in the Netherlands at the time. I played on servers run by XS4ALL someone form Europe might know these, but it's not really important. ANyway there was a player and I can't remember his nick now but he was a real badass. He would win almost every map. Of coarse every time we met I was fraged rather quickly. He catches in the water in a map and frags me and I spawn just above that same water right by a lightning gun. So I grab it jump in the water and blam. Oh man you would have thought I shot his mother. I only knew a few words of Dutch so I didn't catch to much of what he said but I like to fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. To this day I still remember that.

My Favorite Q2 memory

I don't know if anyone here ever played on a Q2 server called HOMNET The KIlling Fields, I believe Diffuze used to from time to time. Again it involves taking out the hot shot of the server. This was back in the day when everyone was on dial-up, but this guy had 256K ISDN. We were on Tokay's towers and I picked up the quad and go out on the ledge to the mega health but I can't Rocket jump because I have Quad so I have to drop down and come back up the elevator. Just as I hit the water I see someone going up. I point my quadded RL up to the ceiling just above the mega wait and fire. The rocket hits and I get the frag I go up the elevator and not only did I get the frag but I got him just before he got the mega. It was sweet. Me and this guy had a pretty friendly rivelry and I met him at a LAN and he was a pretty good guy so it has just stuck with me.

There are many from Q3. Mostly all on BG. My little spat with Spectra after I beat him for the first time, and only time. The lively debates with Bunker and Schiz, The Pineapple division. All the great games, looking forward to Q4, and hoping to make some more good ones.

Research Scientist, SPAM flavored alternatives,[color=yellow:cc4daa8ba4] Pineapple[/color] Division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:56 pm 

Thinking back over the Quake series, and reading these posts bring back quite a few good memories. I only played Quake single player, but I enjoyed it compared to what was out there at the time.

Q2 I played only SP until I ran out of maps to play, and was "forced" to try my hand at MP. I was running a 100Mhz Pentium with a VooDoo 3 graphics card that was a bit long in the tooth, but I had a cable connection, so it was slightly balanced out. After a few nights of playing on-line I was hooked, and got an old friend hooked too. I made these hideous black and yellow striped skins for us so that we could spot each other. My friend, who went by the name of Goldfinger, became a real bastage when he got on a server, camping by the rail on Lava Pipe (I think that was it's name), and just working to piss people off. Ironically, at that time he had just bought and re-built an older motor home for camping in RL. I'll never forget the time my wife and I were on vacation in Atlanta staying with her sister & her husband who is also into gaming. I brought a floppy with our customs skins, and found Goldfinger on the usual server. I joined in with some bogus alias using Sarge for a skin, and played his game.... pissing him off :lol: I kept making cracks about him camping, and pointing it out to the other people on the server. When I commented that he must drive a camper in RL he got freaked out and wondered who I was. About three weeks later he mentioned it to me over a beer, and I couldn't keep a straight face.

I stumbled on BG through OW, using his previous nick. When he found out what hardware I was using, and told me to ask for a new comp for Christmas. I laughed & told him how old I was, and that I had two kids. He mailed me a spare AMD cpu he had. I can't say enough good things about him.

Q3 for me was all about the crowd on the BG server. My PIII 866 computer again put me at the bottom of the stats, but gettin' yer a$$ whipped by people as polite as the regulars here somehow makes it fun :? :mrgreen:

I don't think I'll ever forget that night we atempted to break the stacking record :lol:

More than anything though, it's the people here that keep me at the BG! No sense repeating the names again... you all know you you are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:07 pm 

This has brought back many memories reading this thread. I remember early morning frags with Keener, Satori, Fel and Mikey. We had some good times playing. I also remember my first visit to BG was with Mikey when the High Ping Bastage server we used to play on (Anti Clan Server) went down. Mikey suggested this server and the rest was history. The first player we met was Cleanah. We laughed our arses off.
IO knew i would be a regular here.
I really miss playing with all of the people that have posted here in this thread.
I was telling some of the people that I play Counter Stike with about this server and told them about Quake Fu and they have been downloading it like crazy. BTW, it is the most downloaded file on Fileplanet (15,000 d/ls!!). Fel did such a great job on that movie! We will all miss his freindship.
Here is a link to my current clans forums and the thread discussing Quake Fu:
http://www.detpc.com/VOA/forums/read.php?13,3795

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:46 pm 

You and the CaPN make it happen. :D

Good to see you ol'buddy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:30 am 

I always enjoyed the early sunday morning FFA's with Capn and Keen :)

I played mostly on my clan server before finding BG, I thought I was pretty good until my rude awakening :)

great players and great sports - ggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:41 am 

Heh. Pulling off that bounce pad rocket jump up to the LG in 69pickup1 right behind Bladerunner, suprise~!! :D

edit: found avi... (4.4M) clicky

(phear my video editing skillz...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=#aaddff:1b013f85a7]Just watched quake-fu again tonight, for the first time in a long time. Felonious really did a great job, cant say enough about him and his great skills with the editing of the movie. He really captured the spirit here, and immortalized a lot of people that were the foundation of this great community. For that, and the many other things he did for bg, I thank him and will miss him wholeheartidly.

After watching it again, I started digging up some of the other videos we did here, such as the original felonious productions bgmovie and the one th at kind of started it all, my initial BG-TheMovie. I remember talking on the phone with Felonious for hours about the movie and his new found facination with q3 movie editing. Awesome stuff.

I'm going to be posting a ton of bg related files soon, movies, demos, wallpapers, screenshots, map files, et'al. Look for that sometime tomorrow...as I'm uploading them now :)[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:45 am 

yea, like chaos said, quake fu was great, and felonious did a teriffic job. he made bg seem like a fun place to be, and that video is what got me to originally visit the site. i want to thank him for getting me into this place and for all the fun times i had here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I play regularly on XS4ALL servers, being in London on a decent connection I get very low ping times to dutch servers and they seem to be the most active ones left in europe for quake 3.

My history in all this started at college, at the end of a game of quake 2 on the LAN there one of my friends informs me that quake 3 is coming out soon and points me to q3arena.net where I met many of the original BG people, from there I came to burial-grounds when the q3arena forums were overrun with idiots. Played a lot on the bg servers with a 200ms ping using dialup weeee most of my memories are from playing instagib on lloyd's map. Can hardly believe its over 6 years now.

ImageImage

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next