It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Anyone getting in on the steam holiday sales?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm thinking of grabbing these titles on sale today...

ARMA II with expansions for $17.99 I want this game for the Day Z mod I keep reading about...

The Walking Dead (with all 5 episodes) for $12.49. I love the graphic novels and actually do like the tv show. This game has won a lot of awards this year too...

Saints Row: The Third with a ton of DLC for $7.49 It has great reviews and looks like a fun game.

Dead Island: GOTY Edition for $6.79. Cant go wrong with a zombie fps...can you?

Post subject: Re: Anyone getting in on the steam holiday sales?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:33 am 

I am hearing rumors from an online friend in the UK that the Day Z mod is going to be made into a stand alone game that will not require Arma II.

That being said, you can't go wrong with the base game itself. Another of my online friends says it is a great battle simulation.

Steam sales never disappoint, in my opinion. Great deals are to be had every time they have one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:38 pm 

After talking to my friend in the UK on teamspeak last night, he indicated that the Day Z mod is still available for free.

In fact, he is now the admin of a Day Z server.

The website for his clan is http://www.vendettagamingclan.org

His tag is DeZtRoYaH

He did, however say that if and when the mod goes commercial, anyone who bought Arma II and downloaded the Day Z mod will get a 50 percent discount on the commercial version.

And btw, I bought Arma II last night, and I plan to get the Day Z mod as soon as I can so that I can play the game on his server (located in Chicago).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:42 pm 

I got the Day Z mod working last night with the help of my UK friend.

We talked on his teamspeak server and he walked me through the installation process.

Beware when you go to the Day Z website and download the two server browsers.

They are Play with Six (we used that one first), and DayZ Commander.

I was spammed by numerous programs that I didn't want during the process, but the ones that sneaked through after I canceled the install, were easily uninstalled.

There is a way to circumvent this annoyance by choosing a different install button that is located at the DayZ Commander website.

After the play with six program is installed, and Day Z is installed, you will have to start the Arma II games and be sure that the radio buttons are enabled for the mod to integrate itself with the games.

We played on his server last night and he asked one of his players to jump into a chopper and rescue me from an area that I spawned into (the server knows what time it is in Chicago, and I could not see a thing until I cranked up my brightness and gamma), and even then things were pretty dark but at least I could avoid the zombie attacks to some degree.

I died from a zombie attack once, and had to spawn back into the game and avoid them long enough to be rescued, but I was bleeding out fast, out of ammo, and close to death. When I heard the chopper near by, I threw a light stick out so that they could find me.

When we arrived back at the base camp, the other players shared their meager supplies of weapons, food, and water with me, and even gave me night vision goggles (that are a rare item) so that I could see better. They then gave me a few pints of blood to regenerate my health and told me to eat some food and drink some water. You have to do all of this to stay healthy as you play the game, otherwise you become weak, and can die of starvation or dehydration.

After My health was restored through their kindness, (Probably because my friend is the founder of the server - LOL), they took me for a chopper ride and showed me where to find supplies, and where the most dangerous parts of the area are.

This game is a co operative survival scenario, on a map that is so large that it boggles the imagination. Without other players to help you, you do not have much chance of survival. And the main point of the game is to try to survive as long as you can, and work with your team mates to build bases with provisions that you have scavenged from the surrounding territories.

However, you can play as a Bandit, and kill the "good guys" in order to steal their supplies, while attempting to avoid the zombies in the process. This adds another dimension to it where you become very wary of players that you do not know as friends.

Well, that is most of what I what I learned by playing the game for about four hours. I hope it helps anyone who wants to get involved with it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]