It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Onlive
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 am 

Just curious if anyone uses Onlive. I noticed it now works with my 3mbit dsl...not super well..but it works. Seems worth it to sign up just for the free 30 min demo of all the games they have to offer. No cost.

I think I may get some games through it eventually once I get cable internet after moving.

Post subject: Re: Onlive
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm 

No but my son keeps telling me great things about it. I didn't know they had gotten a demo of it on line.

post any info you find out please!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:33 am 

Good overveiw of the service here. Wish I had the bandwidth to use it regualarly. Pretty sure it's a free signup. You only have to pay if you want to play the full versions of the games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 am 

Looks interesting.

Especially the ability to spectate on any game in progress, to find out if you might like to buy it.

The free trial is great also, for the above reason.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:43 am 

I signed up to Onlive and downloaded their client.

I was able to spectate on a multiplayer game in progress in a Homefront server, and also was able to watch single player sessions of Batman, Arkham City and Deus Ex Human Revolution. The only laggy session I saw in spectator mode was one instance of Deus Ex. I could see that the player I was watching must have had a crappy connection. The graphics I saw in all of the games I watched were very good, though.

Then I played the 30 minute trials of Metro 2033, and Just Cause 2, to see how they compared with these games that I already own through Steam.

Both of these games had very good graphics, except for the fact that both did not fill my screen at the top and bottom.

Just Cause 2 was not laggy at all, but Metro 2033 was so bad in the combat scenes, that it started to make me feel sick. It was almost unplayable.

Except for the problem with Metro 2033, and the lack of full screen in the games, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the service works, but I have a 20 meg cable connection, and I have a feeling that this is what made it work so well. Anyone who has FIOS (15 megs up and 15megs down) should get better performance than I was getting, since the best upload speed for my connection usually tops out at about 1.7 megs.

Living in the Tampa area might help also, since a major gaming server provider has a server farm here, and Onlive might be using their servers to host their games. It would be interesting to find out if that is true.

Thanks for posting this Finko!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:05 pm 

I was just watching a player on Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Since I have completed the game (after 80 hours), and unlocked all four endings, it is great to be able to see how other players approach the game (stealth vs killing or stunning everyone in your path, or a combination of all of them, as I did it).

The player I was watching was in a situation where he could save an enemy scientist from a toxic gas leak, thus unlocking a free pass by a security guard who is a friend of the scientist.

At first, he ignored the plight of the man being gassed, and killed the guard. Then he changed his mind, reloaded a saved game, and tried to save him, but didn't decode the lock on the door fast enough to get to the valve to turn off the gas, and the scientist died. He even tried dragging the scientist's dead body to a safer area, in hope that it might revive him, to no avail. he then holstered his weapon, and approached the guard, and had the choice to confront him, bribe him, or tell him that he had been sent there to check on a gas leak. The guard let him pass, but told him not to go downstairs, which would have been possible if he had saved the scientist. I found myself wanting to talk to this player to give him some hints on the possibilities available to him in this minor scenario of the game, but since I was a spectator, I couldn't.

Situations like this one (and there are too many to count) is what makes this game the best I have ever played. No matter how many times you play through it, it can turn out differently. I could play this game for the rest of my life, and never have the same outcome twice.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]