It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I'm shocked
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:10 am 

Shocked that BG still exists; shocked that after all those years the BG people I knew are still there; even shocked that meep managed to show up a few months before me.

So... anybody remembers me? :P

Well what a blast from the past. I must admit that it's been a long time since I clicked a mouse in anger.

Post subject: Re: I'm shocked
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm 

I remember you, I think it says a lot for the bonds we made playing Quake and some of these guys go back to Quake2 when ^^Ch@os^^ was a moderator of the forums on one of the big sites. If memory servers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:04 pm 

Thanks Keen -- so what happened exactly? I see that Chaos re-booted the site or something in 2010? Is there still dedicated BG Q3 servers, or is it just a forum to rembember the good old days now? Or are you all on BF3 now? :D

Speaking of good old days... I hope you guys watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm 

Oh yes I believe both Spyder and Hex still have servers running 24/7 I admit though I have not frequented them, plus some of the guys play the free version Quake Live.

I think Hex's can be found at milehighgaming.com and spyder's lair is the name of Spyder's server I think you might be able to Google that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:52 am 

neutrophile wrote:
Thanks Keen -- so what happened exactly? I see that Chaos re-booted the site or something in 2010? Is there still dedicated BG Q3 servers, or is it just a forum to rembember the good old days now? Or are you all on BF3 now? :D

Speaking of good old days... I hope you guys watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Great video. I occasionally play QuakeLive, most of the time servers Texas and all points west are empty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

hey neutrophile, thanks for stopping by. it's always great to see oldtimers drop in from time to time to say hi. The site has remained up since day one, it's taken on a few new faces over the years, but it's always been here. Now I just leave it up for all the oldtimers to keep in touch and archive what the site used to be. Thanks for the video post, really funny actually!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:01 am 

Hi Chaos -- in that case it seems it's just me that forgot to check in for what, five years :o The video's funny but at the same time it's been really popular - I hope that game designers out there will realize that a next-gen Arena game would fill more than just a small niche. I'm very tired of WW2 / modern warfare games.

I heard about QuakeLive and just tried it tonight. Impressive by its simplicity :) However, is the paid-for tier much better? Is it where the Q3 crowd now hang out? Well I just registered as "neutro" on QL if anyone sees me. Not sur if I'll be able to play much.

There are a few free games based on the open-source Q3 engine. For starters, there is OpenArena, but while it's the same engine, OpenArena did not get the proprietary art (so no model, map or texture from Q3). It's the same gameplay but the art is more amateurish. I don't know if 3rd-party maps are compatible, but I'd think so.

There is also Xonotic, which is a fork of Nexuiz, but I haven't tried it. Warsow for its part is very cartoonish, fast (it adds wall-jumps) and basically feels like CPMA. I'm not sure if the community is large for those games so for this reason alone, maybe sticking with Quake Live is best.

In the past 5 years or so since my last appearance on BG I managed to get a job and start a family, so of course the gaming time is kind of trading at a premium. Also, with money comes expenses and I now have a large tv and 5.1 setup, so I switched to consoles for most of my gaming. After playing QL for a few minutes earlier, damn did I miss PC gaming. However I have to exile myself in my mancave where my PC lies to PC-game. So I'm thinking of building maybe a gaming HTPC or buying a gaming laptop that would be easy to plug into my AV receiver in order to play in the living room. If I go the laptop way, it seems to me that the Asus G73 and G74 lines are the best bang for the buck. Anybody here got one of those? The alienwares are nice but are much more expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:57 am 

If you go Quakelive Premium you get more custom map access and mods like Freeze Tag. Whether or not people will be in the servers...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:09 am 

If you still have Quake 3 handy, I run two servers called SPYDERWEB and SPYDERWEB2.

They are up 24/7 as mentioned by Keen.

The ip addresses are 63.211.110.56 and 63.211.105.70 respectively.

The first is plain vanilla Q3 with over 300 custom maps, and downloading is on.

The second is running CPMA 1.48, which is a lot like OSP in many respects.

The CPMA server also has a few of my favorite custom maps available for play.

I also have an ftp site with an assortment of maps for download, including the Burial-Grounds mappacks and the jaxdm4_v21 Burial-Grounds tribute map.

It can be found at http://spyderweb.clanservers.com/anonymous

I keep the servers running because of my love of Quake 3, but they get very few players now, and I have been busy with other games recently, and haven't been on them much myself.

I pay for pro status on Quake Live, which gives me the ability to play all of the premium maps, and also create my own Quake Live servers for people to play on, but as I stated above, other games have limited my presence there also.

I will send you an invitation to join my friends list, and maybe we can play a few matches one day, if you are interested.

There is also a thread here with a list of many of the old timers who joined Quake Live.

Nice to see you here again!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:16 am 

Thanks Spyder. Interesting information, though with the 14-month old girl, the job, the gf, and I'm trying to go through Bioshock 1 & 2 on a freaking console, not sure if I'll be playing Quake (3/Live) that much. I'd love to for sure.

(BTW it's clear that Bioshock was made for the PC, the controls are really confusing on a controller IMHO. I want to map those plasmid on a keyboard so bad. But at the same time, playing that on a 7.1 home theater and big plasma screen is really, really immersive. Yeah, I'm playing many-years-old games, but hey I prefer to pay them 9.99 thant 59.99 ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:11 pm 

If you get spyders freind request on QL,you will find most of us in his freinds list.
<<< I am on there as well as my original screen name,but do not play it that much. I like Q3 much better,runs smoother for me.

I think with the premier package on QL,you can start your own server as well...spyder would know.

Spyder,take a look at my brother on QL....he has like a million hours of play time/games,and is ranked pretty high.Not a million,but alot. I think there are only a few awards that he does not have yet. He mostly plays CA there.

How about we try to get some people together for some games this weekend on one of spyders servers ???

neut,get q3 installed if you still have it,let me know if you need any of the service packs,I have them sitting on my desktop from when I had to d/l them recently. And pb also,or you can just join the server and d/l it server side. There is a thread on here that was posted not too long ago,about 6-9 months ago that has the std map rotation of spyders server on it. I will look later if you need and post a link,or look through my posts and find it,I posted in it,and joy put the list together.gl and hf <----havent said that in a while ;D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:29 pm 

skraggy wrote:
If you get spyders freind request on QL,you will find most of us in his freinds list.

Neat...

Quote:
How about we try to get some people together for some games this weekend on one of spyders servers ???

I'll try but I doubt I'll be able to make it. I'm just yearning for a few hours to spend with my PC, but I don't think it'll be hapening this weekend.

Quote:
neut,get q3 installed if you still have it,let me know if you need any of the service packs,I have them sitting on my desktop from when I had to d/l them recently. And pb also,or you can just join the server and d/l it server side.

I still have Q3 installed but it's been a long time and many OS updates since I fired it up. I also have a backup of around 300 maps so it's not hopeless ;) Was there a Q3 service pack since ~2006? PB updates perhaps.

You're right, Quake Live is funny to play since it's hassle-less, but it does feel more laggy than the ping indicates. Also feels much more tied down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 pm 

Here is an interesting link showing you how to tweak your Quake Live config file.

http://www.holysh1t.net/how-to-customiz ... ve-config/

You can also set enemy colors (for example a green keel or tank jr.)

The options menu has a lot more features than the original Q3, also.

The trick is finding where the game is on your hard drive, as the article states.

I found that my limited abilities as a player (I am 67 years old) were greatly enhanced through changing my config, and the game really came alive for me.

Last edited by SPYDER on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:31 pm 

Aaah! So it's still possible to bind taunts & congrats :)
Will my perfect rocketjump macro work in QL? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm 

It might, but I would back up my config before I tried it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next