It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Hack for Q3 on Windows 7 Home Premium ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:27 am 

Roadkill wants to frag but his new computer has windows 7. Paying MS cash to upgrade can't be the only way to do this can it ?

Speaking of hacking I slipped into the Doctors office today without and appt and while he was out golfing I talked the nurse into revealing the results of my 2 hour MRI/MRV I took sunday and all evidence of the clot is gone, Sagittal Sinus thromobosis ( stroke ) is completely RESOLVED.

Woot !

Post subject: Re: Hack for Q3 on Windows 7 Home Premium ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 am 

'sup Blade.

I don't understand the Q3/7 problem. Upgrade to what - ?

Good news on the health front, keep up the positive thinking, it breeds positive results.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:52 pm 

You can get it running on 7 I just can't remember what I had to do. I think you should start by trying to right click and choose "run as administrator" on the quake3.exe file. You could also make a shortcut and set the compatibility options to make it run in XP mode etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm 

I just checked my shortcut properties and I don't see anything special about the way the program should run under Win7 home premium.

It runs quite well on my install of Win 7.

I just copied all of my Q3 files from a backup I made under XP home to the root directory of the drive and named the folder Quake III Arena. Then I went to that folder and found the exe file for quake and right clicked on it and chose "send to desktop (create shortcut") the permissions are set for "everyone" with all security functions checked except the one that says "Special permissions"

I think the upgrade you are referring to is to go up to Win 7 professional, that allows you to run programs in XP mode. If you pay for that one, you still have to download what appears to be a file large enough to be a complete XP install that I guess is tweaked to run along side of Win 7.

That is a ripoff, considering that you can buy a complete valid version of Win XP for $37.00 from http://www.9software.com It is called Windows XP home for a "Ghost PC", and I am running two copies of it on two PC's, one of which triple boots (Win 2000 professional, Win XP Home, and Ubuntu Linux 10.4) , and another that is my gaming PC, that dual boots Win Xp Home and Win 7 Home Premium. I also bought Win 7 from them for $67.00, BTW.

The only catch to multiple booting, though is to install the older version of windows first. If you don't do this, the older version will sometimes overwrite the master boot record and kill the later version.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:37 am 

Hey Hex long time no hear how are you ?

Hiya Keener.

Spyder I have a computer in every room, my new laptop is the only one running xp and when I right click on stuff there is no choice to set compatibility mode because it came with windows home premium 7.

This is what is happening to Roadkill - I think. I am running quake 3 fine on vista. I am going to see if I can get him to post some screenshots or something.

Thanks Y'all!!!

Oh and Spyder I would love to play but last I checked my ping to you was over 150 so that would probably result in a bad experience I will check this weekend though. Right now just going to demolish some bots on the standard maps as I had to rebuild this machine.

Cheers !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:57 am 

Maybe | gave you guys too much information.

To install Quake 3 on Win 7 Home Premium, I just made a copy of all of my Q3 files that were on my Win XP PC, and put them on my Win 7 Home Premium PC in a folder named Quake III Arena.

Then I looked in that folder and right clicked on the red Quake 3 icon that happens to be the .exe file to start Q3.

At this point Win 7 gives you a menu, and one of the things you can do is "send to desktop (create shortcut)".

If you select this option, Win 7 creates an icon to start Q3 on the desktop, and assigns default permissions to it.

I don't think that I had to change any of these - Q3 just worked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 am 

I made a mistake - what I meant to say was I have Windows 7 on my laptop and there the compatibility tab is greyed out on executables and that is what Roadkill is telling me happens to his windows 7 quake install. Better to get him over here and discuss it himself.

I have no problem working with windows or unix as I build large unix servers for a living. All my quake stuff works.

Let me check windows 7 again because it sounds like you had zero challenges getting it to work on your home premium. I could install q3 there and try it out but its my portable business machine I just bought and I was not planning to put quake on it but might as well, would help me troubleshoot his problems better.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:49 am 

Long time indeed. Still kickin.

Agreed. Q3/7 should "just work".

but then there is also the

oh...

I don't know...

quakelive.com

(says the server dude who will likely be running Q3 servers at its 30th anniversary...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:55 pm 

Wow that was weird. I had to re-register to login today and after that was all established it only took my old password.

Anyway we fragged last night ! Woot !

Issues:

He was unable to update to 1.32 and use the same protocol as me because the root level setup.exe on the CD media does not work with Windows 7 and gives you an error about that. However the setup in the setup.exe within the Quake3 folder works find on win 7. Then he was able to install it to a location that the point release updater could find and alter. I have 1.32c and he has 1.32 and it works because they are using the same network protocol. I had to open up the firewall and forward the port at the router and bang-zoom we were fragging platform6 which as its first download link is MileHighgaming.com but it is no longer up as I am sure Hex has had more important things to do with his computers.

We are going to load up Uberkill tonight. I need to play with cg_smoothclients because he was lagged and skipping around which made it hard to nail him :) I forgot how smooth bot play is on your own server compared to a distant foe.

Thanks for the encouragement and Happy New Year.

Main page looks terrific Chaos!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]