It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: $64,000.00 hospital stay last week
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:07 am 

Unreal is all I can say. I dropped 40 lbs from 200 to 160, all muscle due to 'prednisone' which did not even work to control my UC flare which involves internal bleeding etc. But HEY I found a great drug from canada Mebeverine with dual action but my doc gave me Librax which is available in the U.S. Bleeding halted immediately and I ordered Mebeverine off the web to keep in case I have another tough flare.

So I am thinking this is great, up 10 lbs to 170 and once I taper off the catabolic prednisone I can get back to lifting and putting on weight.

I throw a block party and cater it with good food. Former bosses kids both barf all over the food table after I got my fill. Within one hour I am sick too with splitting headache. Now I have really bad healthcare from this consulting agency but I figure I saved myself 5k in co-pays that I can use to show my daughter Hawaii on xmas break.

Well the pain in the head gets so bad I drive myself to the ER because the neighbors were not around on this sunday. They do a cat scan, MRI and 'lumbar puncture' and dont feed me anything for days.

Up comes the Neurologist and he tells me I had a freaking stroke from a blood clot in the brain and its a Thrombosis so its more of a failure to drain a vein than a blocked artery.

Nonetheless my right hand is useless, keeps crashing into things and cannot even wipe my own but with it.

After a full week I get out and the morning right side numbness has stopped and I was feeling better, good enough to have the interview I missed this friday which is less than a week since getting discharged. Feeling better until I saw that bill that is. Insurance wont even pay half of it.

I think its time for a little chapter 7 - fuck em. Yes I was in the ICU for a few days but jesus the average here is 10k per day - thats just nuts.

They got me on blood thinners and they blow and they conflict with every healthy thing you can consume and especially my remedies for ulcerative colitis. Between a rock and a hard place for a while. They told me no workout of any kind. Terrific. Well if the right arm stays good I will be happy.

"When you have your health you wish for many things - when you lose your health you wish for ONE thing"

Post subject: Re: $64,000.00 hospital stay last week
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:38 pm 

Greed, that's all I can say.

The Insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are greedy. Plus people slapping law suites on doctors all the time. It's ballooned out of control.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 pm 

I saw a programme on this the other week, made me very sick,,,,,,,, the insurance companies employ "trouble shooters" to get every penny back you have had from an op,,,

One guy went all the way home to Canada to get his shoulder sorted,,, if he stayed there it would have cost $27,000 ,,, its all bad news ffs ....

Just hope you get a silver lining out of this cloud Blade man ..... wish you lots of luck with it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:52 am 

So I perused paperwork from previous hospital stays and its said 'Adjustment' I did the math and it was always 60% off the bill for the insurance company. I made some calls demanding my discount. They took 38,881 off the bill. So I owe 7k now and no need to file BK.

But I better get this next contract starting wednesday as my health care is shot. If I pass background check and whiz-quiz with all the vicodin and such I am taking for headaches then I just need to last until Dec 1st then I will be on their group plan and Cobra if they fire me for 18 months. Of course completing the 3-5 month contract is preferred, especially since I was lousing up interviews because I cannot recall details very well, in fact I went to the courthouse and had them printoff all convictions in case I forgot something while filling out the forms and before the background check. Just driving offenses - 2 reckless is all.

Things are getting better, right hand signs my name as good as it ever did and I needed that all day wednesday at the client and at the agency, memory improving. I really cant complain, many of these diagnosis are done on cadaver at autopsy.

I noticed most people dont have another one until they go off the blood thinners so I am probably ok till the healthcare is settled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:34 am 

Hey Blade:

I am so very sorry to hear of your health problems. It is bad enough to be ill these days, but to get a bill like that from the hospital so soon after being released is really tacky on their part. It makes my blood boil to think about how you must have felt when you saw that.

If I was in your situation, I would tell them that they would get their 7 grand at a rate of 10 dollars a month.

Take care, and get well soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:52 pm 

Spyder you are exactly right. There was the panic in the ICU when my right hand would not function. Hey if that comes back its all I need right ? It come back I get out, oddly enough my ex was there constantly brining me food and drove me around on discharge day to the Emergency parking lot. So I get out back into the world after 1 week in the freezer and its sunny breezy and warm like Hawaii and beautiful mountain views all around. I am the happiest man alive. Then I call for an estimate on the bill. Bam right back to panic state. Met Bankruptcy attorneys in Boulder and Denver. Problem is cash in the bank - we decide to just burn it off and study for certification for months. Must not allow income to rise above state average or you dont get chapter 7. Then I figure out from previous stays their handing out steep discounts and make some calls. This happens just as my contract is ending and I missed the big interview with the big defense contractor while in the ICU. Talked to manager all summer about a job opening up and he and the team wanted me since I worked there in 08-09. 6 days after discharge I go to that rescheduled interview to show I am ok cognitively, perhaps I wasn't because sr mgmt were hostile and I did not get the 'sure thing'. So I start cramming and preparing for interviewing and panicking all over again about landing some 'Health care'. Before the job season totally dries up. Plan B is the high risk pool Cover Colorado, they have my docs and I have my rejection for individual policy by a major carrier so I should make it in. Lifetime max of 1 million. My daughters individual policy goes to 5 million per year with Aetna $150 per month. The agency had a bad plan, after I was there 90 days I found out it had an annual max of 25k which I blew right thru in September. This next agency goes to 150k annual max with a 70/30 co-insurance split so its not great but beats what I have now ( nothing really ). So these agencies pay a high hourly rate W-2 upfront but you get screwed on the fine print of the Medical plan on the back end of the deal. I need to hunker down as an employee until 2014 when I can get an individual policy, no doubt at a high premium per the actuary tables. I'll be happy when life resumes some normalcy and no more freakouts.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]