It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: I was just wondering about the Large Hadron Collider..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:00 am 

..and wouldn't you know it was set to startup again yesterday after a year of downtime.

Only it was stopped - by a piece of bread.

This story was neat-o too and fed my imagination...

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-sc ... w.Planets/

"I'm pretty confident that there are Earth-like planets everywhere," Udry said in a Web-based news briefing from a conference in Portugal. "Nature doesn't like a vacuum. If there is space to put a planet there, there will be a planet there."

Post subject: Re: I was just wondering about the Large Hadron Collider..
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:43 am 

Yup, every star you see in the night sky has the potential to have dozens of planets orbiting it.  Its really fascinating to think about - what if there is life out there? 

When you think of how small we are in comparison to the world, and how small the world is in comparison to the galaxy, and the galaxy to the universe it really puts things into perspective.

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

I like your de-motivational poster :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:41 pm 

I need to go online and buy the entire Carl Sagan series for my daughter and I to watch.  He shaped my worldview.  However after much research I have the following conclusions:

1)  Atheism is able to explain everything after the big bang but they do not and cannot speak about how it came to be
2)  The Bible alone says 'You will never be able to comprehend' and that God is outside the time dimension and has always been and will always be
3)  If God created the Universe then who created God is impossible to understand for us, its an attempt to frame it in our own context
4)  A universe that has enough dark matter to collapse and end in heat death but repeats the cycle over and over again and has on beginning is incomprehensible to us, we need to understand its origin and that model has no origin
5) A universe 'created' by an entity is easier for us to latch onto but then suffers the conundrum of 'well who then created the creator'

So I don't want her to watch it and have no opportunity to believe in God because as Carl points out 'fantastic claims require fantastic proof'.

I want her to be open to it as I am open even if unconvinced.

Comments ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:35 am 

Some things are beyond the realm of human comprehension, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.  That doesn't mean we should make up something to explain them - which is what religion does.  While science cant explain everything, at least it strives to find an honest answer. 

I think Sagan's statement "fantastic claims require fantastic proof" is not a rejection of God, but a re-statement of a fundamental scientific principle that in order for anything to be accepted as truth, it must be supported with tangible, testable evidence.  Since 'God' - at least in Judeo Christian terms - is set up in such a vague way that there is no way to prove or disprove his/her existence, we are left with a quandary.  Religion provides answers that science does not, but there is no evidence to support their validity.

I think sharing Cosmos with your daughter wont make her 'not' believe in God, but it will perhaps give some some perspective of where we all fit in the universe. 

Sorry for rambling, its martini night :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:40 pm 

I agree I just don't want to show her one side and slam the door shut on the other.

Sagan looked for the Rembrandt signature of God in the repeating decimal of PI..never found it.  By looking at the limit of science and what the bible said about being outside of Time dimension always was always will be its not answering an unanswered question from science nor is it proof of anything but its fun to think about it having the answer all along.  Perhaps a Jesus is sent to each world with intelligent life.

Anyway I spent my entire life thinking religion was hooey but now that I see the universe is unexplained it opens the door a bit to God which then creates more unexplained questions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:50 am 

Oh, I agree.  The more we learn about the universe sheds light on the vast amount that we do not know.  For this reason I think writing off "God" or any sort of higher power is a mistake.

But at the same time, I don't think that belief in God and religion are one and the same.  In terms of God, I am open minded.  However, I believe that organized religion is a creation of man and in many cases actually discourages open-mindedness and intelligent thought.  I see a lot of the damage religion has done, and continues to do, and it really puts me off.  I don't consider myself an atheist, but religion has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. 

And I totally understand the desire to let your daughter make her own decisions - I have a step daughter who I would never try to impose my beliefs on.  But my beliefs are not mainstream - at least not where I live - so sharing them with her wont shut the door on anything else.  But maybe it will give her some perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:52 pm 

That all sounds right to me.

Enjoying 'The art of happines' by the Dali Llama, and The easyway to quit drinking / smoking.  Guy trashed his body for 1/3 of a century and then cleaned up and got a heck of a lot more out of life.  Lots of wisdom in the Bible but the whole come to church every sunday or your going to hell and tythe 10% just aint my scene.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]