It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: My doggie Luke....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:54 pm 

I had to put my dog Luke to sleep Sat the 26, he was around 12 yrs old.  :'(
http://www.oldwarrior2001.org/lukecannonxt.html

He had a ruptured spleen and what looked like a tumor on his Liver, they did an ultrasound to find that out.
The doctor said they could operate, but if the tumor on his liver was malignant then there was nothing they could really do.
Folks this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in a very long time, he was my Bud, and I know that it was the best for him,
but it was so hard on me.
I buried him in my backyard (we live in the county) , and cried with every shovel full.
;D I could not even go to the bathroom with out him following me, or open the fridge without his nose in the crack of the door.
God I miss him....

Post subject: Re: My doggie Luke....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:35 pm 

Sorry to hear that Ohdubya that's a really good run for a dog, I can tell he was well loved.  :'(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:28 pm 

So sorry to hear that :( I went through the same thing a couple years ago, my boy lived to be 13. Some may call us crazy but it's like having a family member pass away. Sometimes worse because their love is so unconditional.
I cherish every minute with my new guy these days!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:51 am 

Thanks for sharing that.

I live alone except every weekend my daughter is here.  Apparently I am not the Island I thought I was.  yes people and pets can be annoying but solitude is not really my cup of tea either.  Seeing an old Asian friend this week, I believe you are with an Asian woman.  Pardon my memory if incorrect.

I had an animal for 18 years, it slept with me, it hunted and brought me squirrels which it ended up eating on the garage floor except for one organ and perhaps a foot.  This happened a lot and he would wait for me to wake up and would present it to me on the front porch by the neck limp and otherwise undamaged.  He had the killer instinct and would take them out swiftly.  He would sleep in my car and not wake until I was at high school.  He would climb the ladder while dad was working on the roof just to be with him.  He loved people and hopped in someones car and was only found because mom ran an ad in the wider area paper - he was across the river in another town.  He would say things without opening his mouth, make sounds that suggested 'Thanks' and 'Hello'.  He would sit quietly in the kitchen and I would want to feed him.  When he went it was awful and I cried, I had to take him to the vet to be put down, I was onto a new gal and living with her and dad came upon him and told me we had to take him out of his misery. Organs went bad which explains his eating and behavior.

Fucking doc would not let me hold him after saying I could so on a metal table he was given the shot and you could see it fade from his eyes as life left him.  That was not a happy time.  I got out of there and got over it and seldom think about it.  I always think about him.  There is nowhere to bury his ashes in the rocky mountains so I have them in a thing you put on the fireplace mantel.

He was of course just a cat.  But I have never had another cat like him.  He was a beefy tuxedo cat.  My daughter latched onto a stuffed cat that is a tuxedo cat and it has been a continuity item for her thru the divorce and beyond. That thing has really held up well.  I flew in a hypo-allergenic cat for her with the grand total cost of $1500.00 and we gave it to the humane society 2 weeks later.  That was no replacement for my cat.  I should have cloned his ass he was 1 in a million.  I will  post a pic of dad riding a moped with him all chilled out.

Dogs I tend to be allergic to and seem to force themselves on me so even though I know it would help with the solitude I have not gotten a dog.  People tell me you cannot just leave them alone, they are like children and need attention.  They need training and chew everything up.

But I clearly get how much he means to you so I will have to think about this some more.  Probably not a good idea since I am not here all day.

Still something to think about.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 am 

Same here Blade. I was with my guy right til his last breath on that cold steel table!
I didn't want to leave, they had to pry him from my hands.
Enough of that. bad memory...

No, if you do not have the time to dedicate to training and attention, especially if you are away from home more than 8 hours a day I would not recommend a dog for you at this time.
But the love and time you put in you get back a million fold most times.
And it's a real shame that bigger dogs get to live such short lives. Most little dogs can live to 14/15/16 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 am 

Hey Bunker thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like a big dog is my friend.  Just texted my niece and she has a great big dog and is very bonded to him.  Prince never bothered me I just tend to not climb all over them because I dont want an allergic reaction.  Maybe next time I should spend a little more time with him and see how my body reacts.  I understand she was very allergic as a kid maybe there is a good breed.

hmmm - more to think about.

Last edited by BladeRunner on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:16 pm 

As soon as I saw the subject of this post OW I new that you had lost a very dear and close friend. I remember way back to when you first pulled me into the Burial Grounds website one of the first things I learned about you was that you had this great dog named Luke. Like some of the other guys that had posted in this thread I've had to put down a dog I was extremely close to and as painful as it was then I try to focus on how much that dog and I shared and all of the things we did together, not morning the loss but celebrating the time that we had.

In my case she was a beagle-terrier mix I got as a pup when I was five, and I had to put her down when I was in my early twenties. She was named after a friends older sister who I thought was cute (from a five year olds perspective, I think she must have smiled at me  :)). Cindy was an incredible friend, and because we brought another pup into the house during her last few years she help whip it into shape, and that dog helped ease the loss for us.

I know you are a tough old guy and you'll forge ahead, but savor the fond memories and focus on how Luke made you laugh rather than his last days. That worked for me with Cindy, and with the huge shepard-collie mix pup named Maggie that she trained.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey OLDWARRIOR, so sorry to hear about Luke. I remember seeing him in a lot of pictures back in the old days. My lab Buddy is about 10 yrs old now, he's still got a few years in him yet, years that I'm trying to cherish and hoping my kids do the same. He's been a very good friend, as I'm sure Luke was for you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]