It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: A visit to iD Software 1993
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:01 pm 

A vid that's been getting kicked around. Haven't been able to watch it myself cause of the web blocker at work, but I guess it's video from iD software when Doom was in beta in 1993.

http://rome.ro/2009/04/visit-to-id-software-1993.html

Post subject: Re: A visit to iD Software 1993
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

awesome video, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:13 am 

That video was one of the most interesting things I have seen so far this year.

I read the book "Masters of Doom" and enjoyed it a lot.

The interesting thing to me about the comments by John Romero, was his reference to one of my favorite games of all time, Rise of the Triad, another game that was far ahead of it's time as far as the various features in it.

In a lot of ways, it was much more advanced than Doom was, and it was released at the same time.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Last edited by SPYDER on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:36 am 

Rise of the Triad. I might still have that laying around. Had some really cool weapons in it, if I remember correctly. It had a map editor released for it, but I remember it being really difficult to use. DOOM had DCK (doom construction kit) which was fairly easy and like all their other games, DOOM just exploded on the user created content. Not to mention DOOM was just plain scary back in the day. I still remember my brother almost falling off his chair when he was trying to dodge a rocket from the revenant, hehe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:26 am 

Yes, Doom was the first game I had ever played that literally scared the hell out of me - LOL.

Rise of the Triad had a great musical score, and power ups like flight, god mode, shrooms mode (like being high on mushrooms - lol), elasto mode (bouncing off of walls), dog mode (invinicble with the ability to crawl under certain tight places and kill anything in sight), a breathing mask (for protection from toxic gases), asbestos armor (for protection from fire breathing portals in the floor and walls), healing basins and bullet proof vests.

The weapons were: pistol, dual pistols, machine gun, rocket launcher, heat seeking missles, split missles, flamewall, excalibat (a baseball bat that flung flaming exploding baseballs),firebomb,drunk missles, and the dark staff.

There were a lot of pitfalls, like rolling boulders that came out of holes in the ceiling and rolled over you, crushing cylinders, gas grates, robot gun emplacements, firechutes, firejets, firewalls, heat pits, mud pit traps, spinning blades, stabbers that came out of the floor and ceiling, spinblade stabbers, robots that shot spinning disks at you, and wanderwalls (to crush you).

It had touchplates in the floors to cause walls to move, disks that levitated you to a higher level, jump pads, elevators, iron, silver, and gold keys, knife statues (to get a knife to cut the nets thrown on you by your enemies), pushpillars, switches, and many secret areas.

It was also the first game that I had played where you could shoot out glass windows and doorways to expose your enemies, or to get access to rooms.

This game has been ported to run on windows xp, and I think that the shareware version is still available for free download, if anyone wants to relive some gaming history.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:27 pm 

I checked out some RoTT on youtube. Some classic game footage on there from the dos and early windows days for a lot of games.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 am 

Quote:
Rise of the Triad

hated it.

hehe..memories.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

LOL, when I saw this thread at the top of the forum, I initially thought finko was making announcement about working for id too! You should be, ya know! :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]