It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: New Machine from alienware and Vista ( pronounced 'mistake' )
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:49 pm 

Well after a full 7 days I 'think' I will keep it.  The insanity with Windows would be  comical if it were not my machine.  At work the other day I was on a Sun 15k as root cruising around trying to determine high kernal time in the local zones or 'virtual machines'.  Unix never lies to me, a file name and its rights are honestly given and the buck stops with 'root'.  Vista is a pathetic attempt at a multi-user OS that has so many holes it wont allow 'you' to do anything without waving ok to admin priv usage constantly. Copy files, install software and it mixes rights/ownership every time.  I turned off UAC and got quake files to copy and then it to actually ran with the ability to read its own q3config file.  >:(
Funny thing is I thought 1) I was buying a 'home' edition of an OS for web surf, gaming etc. not a multi-user server OS  2) what I did not want was to spend any time setting it up but since Alienware apparently tests 'nothing' I have had to battle Blue Screens, failure to sleep, and a Killer NIC that is DOA.  Last time I assembled my own gamer with parts advice from Finko I had no issues, zero zip zilch.

Anyway thats the short of it, at this point I like the rig, big and well cooled and of course excellent wire mgmt.  I think it will do and I can use it for gaming over the holiday break, hope to see you'all on the servers.

It seems to me that windows has mastered the art of overkill and its time to think about resintalling XP while I make a deliberate and slow migration to Linux.

Post subject: Re: New Machine from alienware and Vista ( pronounced 'mistake' )
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 am 

You have just confirmed my justification for NOT upgrading to Vista.

Thank you.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:31 am 

Hmm it's very easy to turn off the User Account Control

get educated my brutha!:

just go to Control Panel- User Accounts and Family Safety - User Accounts - Turn User Account Safety On or Off, then uncheck the box "Use User Account Control (UAC) To Help Protect Your Computer"

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/wi ... 1175250190

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista&nbsp; << search the forums for whatever else bothers you.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:53 am 

Also, confirm that they loaded service pack 1 on your pc.

This is a must, I have heard.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:38 pm 

Commander Keen wrote:
Hmm it's very easy to turn off the User Account Control

get educated my brutha!:

just go to Control Panel- User Accounts and Family Safety - User Accounts - Turn User Account Safety On or Off, then uncheck the box "Use User Account Control (UAC) To Help Protect Your Computer"

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/wi ... 1175250190

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista&nbsp; << search the forums for whatever else bothers you.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category02

Brother, I said  'I turned off UAC and got quake files to copy'

But this is supposed to be a home edition OS, there should not be any UAC.  I am going to learn Vista and alongside this new rig will get a linux platform going, I have CentOS but it had some conflict with Oracle so I will start there. I have 11 computers here, getting close to how many we saw at Hex's house.

Speaking of education,  wow working at www.digitalglobe.com is like getting another 4 year degree in computers in 6 months.  Its so complex that people that work there 5 years will come across a system they have never seen before and know nothing about. Bunch of rocket scientist. So the satellite is interesting because it does not just go round and round.  They fly it over different ground tracks to fullfill orders.  It has a power supply for 7 years and we have a mission control center downstairs.  Satellite has a telescope to look back at the stars for a frame of reference since they are relatively fixed from its perspective.  It photographs the earth for google earth stuff, government stuff etc.  We just went thru 3 weeks of hellish outages with 50 people on the chat and conf call BUT its stable again and we hearing xmas-Jan 4th it will quiet as they put in a mode where it just images the remainder of the globe so we can fill our library.  The next satellite is being built down the road at Ball Aerospace and there are tours starting next week but all the signup sheets were filled by the time I got to them. It will launch from Vandendburg Air Force Base.  This will complete a constellation of 3 satellites.

So everything is falling into place for ignoring work starting on xmas and my new machine is here and ready just need PB updating which I  have yet to tackle.

Tips on PB ?

Are also going be fragging over the holidays Keen?  SPyder ?

Cheers my brutha's.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm 

http://www.evenbalance.com has some Q3 specific files and applications that you may have to apply to get Q3 to work.

I am usually online fragging on Quakelive, OpenArena at the Duckpond custom map server, and sometimes at the Jade Garden OpenArena OSP server. I also check Xfire for players at Vintage Quakers, Mile High, IDK, t3ch's OSP, Phear Phactory, and Spyderweb.

Maybe I am not checking at the right time, but there has been little activity on anything other than the IDK server, and a great deal of activity on the Duckpond OpenArena custom map server. I have played many games there, and it is a lot of fun.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:11 am 

SPYDER wrote:
http://www.evenbalance.com has some Q3 specific files and applications that you may have to apply to get Q3 to work.

I am usually online fragging on Quakelive, OpenArena at the Duckpond custom map server, and sometimes at the Jade Garden OpenArena OSP server. I also check Xfire for players at Vintage Quakers, Mile High, IDK, t3ch's OSP, Phear Phactory, and Spyderweb.

Maybe I am not checking at the right time, but there has been little activity on anything other than the IDK server, and a great deal of activity on the Duckpond OpenArena custom map server. I have played many games there, and it is a lot of fun.

Hey thanks for the tips on the hot servers.
OK after 3 hours of analyzing disk activity and process trees on Vista, it took about 30 seconds to slam those 3 htm files into /pb dirs.
Wow windows continues to deceive, told Indexing to stop and be a manually started service but it starts anyway, McAfee would not allow me to stop it so I had to work around that, the 3 htm files were downloaded without the .htm and Vista changed it to .download, this thing is just run amok and when analyzing there are so many active processes its almost pointless.  It writes to /networkservices/NTuser_DATA.log 10 times a second, sometimes it writes 150 files per second while I am doing *nothing*.  Whelp I got it down to 10% and wont run the sidebar if I am quaking but will at all other times because I like it and dont mind that it stays busy doing useful things like newsfeeds,weather and rolling thru nice photos.

See you on the server, kiddios b-day tomorrow on the winter soltice then its football and FRAGS!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm 

The killer nic has been panned by every review site I read. You can build your own pc in about a day for 1/4 of the cost of an Alien....but I'm sure you know that. :D

I check spyderweb on xfire every time I play, which is about every night lately. There's rarely anybody there, so I play at the a51 ffa server. Maybe if I hung about in the server for a bit and waited.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:12 am 

Are you aware that you have to click on the servers to get them to update on xfire?

It doesn't automatically update, so there might be players on them you don't see.

For example, there were 4 players on SPYDERWEB tonight, plus myself, for a couple of hours tonight.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 pm 

Well with xmas and my daughters birthday yesterday I have been run-over lately.  So 3 days of 12 hours billable each and we will call it a week at 36 hours wed at 5:00 pm.  Then ELEVEN days off woot!  I will be all over it then. Go my XP machines stable and VISTA will do for now because...

After analyzing everything, shutting down UAC, Indexing, Viri services and chasing ghosts, I finally got my 'idle CPU' to fall from 20-30% to where my XP boxes are 0-3%.

Seems the out of the box advanced power settings where throttling the CPU at 50% ??? bizarre.  Going to allow McAffee to resume now.

Yet another odditty with vista withholding files from me. Even with UAC off it 'blocked' the use of my punkbuster files copied locally of course, I supposed because they end in .htm.

Weird, but I do like the 3D-switch between windows with tabbing thru the deck feature...nice.

b3rieved,  I still have a couple weeks to send it back, the entire rig.  Yes building my own is something I just have no time for and thought it would be cool to see what I got for AW.  I got a nice big well cooled, wire managed rig which has a sticker on the back that says 'All components tested - BUT not tested together' LOL wtf ?

Its like getting the Vulcan Meanstreak 1600 motorcycle, nice to buy it new from Kawasaki, but dont need to do it again, expect that to be the same experience with AW.  My friend has sternly told me to get into a 12 step program for 'spending'.  I hauled in almost 300k this year from 2 jobs and one time bonus, I'll never seem money like that again and I blew most of it.  You can easily call me a fool, but at the same time Steve Fosset slammed into a mountain and died, aircraft engine found 300 feet higher up on the mountain.  He left behind millions in unspent money.  So If I croak tomorrow the girls get the life insurance and I got to feel rich for just one year.  Deal.

See you guys on the servers soon I hope!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:54 pm 

SPYDER....I click on the servers to refresh them :)

Must just be timing. I checked last night at about 830est and again at about 1130est. Will keep on trying. mainly cuz I'm getting smoked at a51, loool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:47 am 

b3rieved wrote:
The killer nic has been panned by every review site I read. You can build your own pc in about a day for 1/4 of the cost of an Alien....but I'm sure you know that. :D

I check spyderweb on xfire every time I play, which is about every night lately. There's rarely anybody there, so I play at the a51 ffa server. Maybe if I hung about in the server for a bit and waited.

So lets hookup for some games.  I am done working in 2008, maybe not done billing but done working  -  LOL, well I am certainly not showing up at the office until next year thats for sure.  I am heading to FT Collins tomorrow and will be back Friday night and looking for some action around  7:30 PM....

FRI 7:30-8:30
SAT 7:30-8:30
SUN anytime after 10:00 AM

Cheers!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]