It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Planet Earth BBC Series
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:22 pm 

One of the first things I did when I got my HD-DVD player was to rent the Planet Earth DVD series from Netflix. I had read a lot of reviews on how spectacular it was, but had to see it for myself and man, I wasn't disappointed for a second. I'm not a Greenpeace 'save the planet' type of person, but the stuff you see and learn in this series will really open your eyes to how amazing this planet is. The animals, the landscapes and the ecosystems that keep the planet 'running'.

I probably thought to myself about 100 times while watching this: "How did they do that?!?!" Some of the most amazing camera angles, shots and time lapse footage you've ever seen. I had the pleasure of watching it in HD, but it does come in the regular DVD variety as well. It is 4 discs. Each disc is broken down into 3 1hr segments that cover a different part of the planet. Trust me, this isn't your grandmas National Geographic stuff. It really is something else to watch.

If you do pick it up, makes sure you get the 2007 version. There is something similar from 2004 floating around. You don't want that one ;)

Couple Trailers you can find on Youtube. You can find some other stuff on youtube that is less official. You can get some nice wallpapers and screensavers from their site too at http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/planetearth/

4 Minute Trailer
[yt=400,300]t1X2HpfyNG8[/yt]

1 Minute Trailer
[yt=400,300]rUBOuNELsiw[/yt]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:33 am 

I watched that on the discovery channel on my non-hdtv and was pretty amazed. I also watched a documentary on the making of it.. people were literally camped out for YEARS waiting for footage. The whole show took something like 6 years to film and produce. The extent to which the crew went to get the show made was really amazing.

And I am one of the 'save the earth' types so it meant a lot to me :D

But yeah, if you haven't seen it, make it a point to do so.

When I get my HDTV (maybe w/ my tax refund) I might just rent it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I've watched a few episodes from the series on the Discovery HD channel. Amazing is an understatement. If nothing else, it is a great showpiece for what HD should look like :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]