It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Ok ET:QW Beta Participants...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

What are your first impressions of the game? What was your first spawn in to a game like? What do you think of the menus, vehicles , gameplay? YOu have a favorite class already? cmon people...lets hear it!

Also, if anyone has any screenshots, please share them! You can attach them to your post here, so dont worry about file/img hosting. If you do have img hosting, please use the lvlshot bbcode so images do not stretch the forums out....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:12 pm 

The key and I tell you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:19 pm 

My first impression of the game, is that it has some great optimization for online play, considering the great visuals that it provides.

It is very fast paced for a game that is so graphics intensive.

So far, with the limited play that I have done (only about two hours), it looks like it will be another Wolfenstein ET type on steroids.

The only glitch I had so far, is that I was unable to close it down once, and had to reboot.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG
THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED
TO DO ANYTHING, WITH NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:06 pm 

Don't know where to start!

Fav Class right now is field ops. Followed by Eng, then Medic. That goes for both sides ;) The field ops isn't as fun on the Strogg side, but I think that's because Strogg isn't pressing the fight in Sewers. My favorite moments are setting up the rocket deployable and taking down fliers with the targeting tool. I've used it to take out a couple strogg walkers as well.

The strogg side will take some getting used to. It's hard to tell what tool does what right now till you grow accustomed to them. And the Stroyent as both health/ammo is a little weird. Being able to trade one for another at any given time is very cool.

Some of the class skills don't shine too well in Sewers. Like, I can't find a real good time or place for the Medic to use the supply drop. The map seems too fast and small for it. I can use it, but 90% of the time, its completely unnecessary.

The game has a pretty decent learning curve, even coming off of WolfET. It's going to be quite a challenge for total newbies. I'm still trying to figure out why and when deployables are usable. I can deploy them, but then sometimes I can't target certain areas of the map for some particular reason. A couple times, I've dropped an airstrike marker right under a walker and was denied the airstrike. So, instead of a glorious victory over the walker, he just moved on over and stepped on me ;/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Finko, in order to use deployables your faction must have control over that particular area. I'm not sure about the airstrikes as I've not played that class much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

My first impressions:

To the Negative first:
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hit anything accurately. Since the end of Q3 and some of its final point releases I always get teh feeling in ID games that no matter how well my crosshairs are following someone I'm just not hitting them. So it is etiher the netcode or the hit detection that is a little fudged.

Vehicle control, mostly on the strogg side is absolutely retarded... I mean yeah they are aliens and things are supposed to work differently... but uh... why make it so hard that you end up not using the vehicles. Everytime I play strogg I see people leave the tank and walker behind because they can't drive it correctly

The user name you set in as your login can be changed in the game options menu but it does not seem to change in game, so what is the point (maybe a beta bug?)

The game looks great but somehow I just don't feel it is as smooth as it should be.

There should be at least some minor indcation of where you got shot from when a sniper kills you so you are not at the mercy of one. In this regard the strog is at a bigger disadvantage since teh railgun is far more noise and visible than a sniper rifle shot.

The deployables should be able to aim in all directions or at least have a defined radius. Right now for waht I notice the anti personal stuff and anti vehicle stuff for example can be approached directly from behind or teh sides and it never even reacts, it should at least attempt to protect its rear a little.

Now to the Positive:
The teams feel very balanced despite the fact tha they are not equal. Love the fact that if your team mates are jerks and take a 4 people transport by themselves you can grab an ATV or a jetpack and get to the action, although getting there on foot is not hard either.

The voice and commands menus are sweet, although they could make them more responsive. It is a little daunting to get to know what you can or cannot do per class and when to do it, but I love the variety.

The smaller missions that you can assign to yourself actually matter in teh game. The close quarters fighting is awesome.

Team play is soooo very important. A disorganized team will lose a game easily, while an organized team can crush you in 5 minutes.

You can see all the way across the map and shoot someone when you are sniping :)

The gameplay is super fun and addictive and the game feels completely different with every class, so lots to sink your teeth into.

The rewards and persistant stats are great, specially because you can challenge yourself to meet more goals.

I think that is it for now :) but I'm loving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

NECROSIS, did you set the vehicle control to simple or advanced? Try simple if it's not already set. Once you get used to the simple controls, then you can move on to advanced which gives you more control over the vehicle.

The username can NOT be changed. The change username option is only there to allow you to change the color scheme of your name. They do not want you to change your actual username for stat tracking, cheating, behavior and other reasons I'm sure you can imagine.

If the game doesnt seem smooth, have you tried any of the fps cvars that can increase your framerates?

The deployables would be too overpowered if they had a 360 degree tracking radius. When you drop a deployable, it shows its effective tracking radius, you need to place them strategically so that they can not be easily compromised from the back side. This all goes back to the efforts to balance the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:55 pm 

I was just playing, and I chose covert ops, and grabbed a tank to get to the far left of the Strogg base, on a high hill.
I covered the GDF team's advance from there, and destroyed any enemy soldiers or vehicles and deployables I could see.
The Strogg team finally figured out what I was doing, and sent a couple of soldiers up to try to get me. I jumped out of the tank, took them out, and worked my way down to the area to hack the pump controls.
I was killed a couple of times, but finally I managed to hook up with some team mates, and make it to the controls.
I was hacking the controls, and almost won the game, when we were overrun by Strogg.
My team didn't win the game, but I was awarded "Best Vehicles" and "Most Damage"
It was a blast!

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[quote1182639838=dmschaos]
NECROSIS, did you set the vehicle control to simple or advanced? Try simple if it's not already set. Once you get used to the simple controls, then you can move on to advanced which gives you more control over the vehicle.

The username can NOT be changed. The change username option is only there to allow you to change the color scheme of your name. They do not want you to change your actual username for stat tracking, cheating, behavior and other reasons I'm sure you can imagine.

If the game doesnt seem smooth, have you tried any of the fps cvars that can increase your framerates?

The deployables would be too overpowered if they had a 360 degree tracking radius. When you drop a deployable, it shows its effective tracking radius, you need to place them strategically so that they can not be easily compromised from the back side. This all goes back to the efforts to balance the game.
[/quote1182639838]

The vehicle is in simple mode by default... and if that is simple I don't want to know about advanced :P

I tried some of the framerate tweaks and it started to crash on me so I reverted it back to default.

The user names not being changeable is just lazy on their part... Steam does it, you login with your user name and you can set your alias to anything you want.

I guess I can see the deployables being overpowered if they had full 360... but the fact that the terrain already limist where you can put them I still think the angle should be wider... maybe wider and weaker fire power.

My biggest issue is just the accuracy... I still feel I should be hitting so many things and yet I don't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I dont find it lazy on their part by not allowing name changes. You can create multiple accounts, you just cant change your name while logged in to one. I like the fact that if I see NECROSIS on a server, I know it's you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

but my name for example is already taken... so someone else out there is NECROSIS ... so I should be able to put my unique account ID into the system but be able to use any alias I want for my friends to recognize me.... so lazy :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:41 am 
Administrator
Administrator

how in the eff is your name taken already? damnit! There must have been a hell of a lot of FP subscribers already in the beta before you got your key eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:10 am 

My favourite class is whatever class seems to be needed at that point in the game :p

Deployables having definate direction - it's your job to defend them, place a mine to stop it from being flanked, it takes a while for infantry to flank and kill a deployable, so if your in the area you can respond easily then repair.

Strogg vehicles are harder to handle, a lot of it is losing track of turret vs body oreintation. The indicators aren't very clear, but I heard they are redoing that.

icurus - i don't think hits to it hurt pilot? when hits to husky driver do?
I was pwning (and being pwnd on gdf) using them to defend emp generator, but i just found a spot on gdf
that might be able to deploy an turrent, will have to try it out.

Names - Aparently it's due to the ranking, on unranked and lan you'll be able to use any name.

Still a bunch of tools and abilities to try out, this game just has so much variety to it, it's awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm really looking for a new screenshot of the day...so, who's going to make the front page with their in game beta screenshot???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:54 am 

NECROSIS:

Did you pre-order the game?

I had the same problem, so my name is now |BGC|SPYDER1944 in the beta.

I am thinking that maybe they are looking at what was chosen by the people who chose their names in advance for the pre-orders, and not letting any beta players use them.

WITH SO LITTLE
FOR SO LONG

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next